Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Cat 3208 average hours to rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    As to the block being a throwaway, as you put it, well, everything other than a Detroit is a throwaway- all other diesels I've ever seen were parent-bore blocks that would either get a cleanup bore, or in the worst-case scenario, a sleeve. Small-block and big-block Chevies, FE Fords, Hemis... etc etc- they are all "Throwaways". And people rebuild them again and again. Why are 3208s singled out as throwaways?
    If that is the standard, then B-series are "throwaways" too.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Okay, maybe throw away isn't the right term, but after they are bored a couple of times, they are done. A sleeved block can be rebuilt almost indefinitely in theory.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The only problems that I ran across are the stamped steel oil pans and marginal cooling system. They are easily bored if the block has substantial wear. I have heard complaints about a short life when installed in dump trucks but most dump truck drivers can tear up an anvil.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Okay, maybe throw away isn't the right term, but after they are bored a couple of times, they are done. A sleeved block can be rebuilt almost indefinitely in theory.
    Oh come on! A detroit has to be rebuilt at 2000 hours. These engines go 10,000hrs. How many times would it need to be bored for those that just go to the pump-out station once a year?
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    A repair sleeve can be installed in a 3208, and they are successful after the repair.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

The go-to engine for Chesapeake Bay watermen used to be Olds 455 V8s... when they weren't made anymore, they began putting 3208s in their boats and that continues. Although the same company sells Cummins, which are also very popular. They are lighter and use less fuel. I have been in their shop dozens of times and they always have (in addition to new Cummins and Caterpillar engines) four for five 3208s they are overhauling. They do them constantly, which is why I suggested them for overhauling the OP's engines. They have all the parts on the shelf to do them. They turn them around fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    If that is the standard, then B-series are "throwaways" too.

Oh Great now you tell me

Now I just need to live long enough to use the boat that much and the money to put the fuel through it. We have had the discussion before and it depends on amount of care and fuel that goes through it.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Thank you everyone for your knowledge and input on this question. My takeaway is that should these 3208's have the suspected 6,000 hours and have been properly maintained I should not be looking at a major overhaul in the next couple of years just based on their time in duty.

Since they are in a 1986 36 Sedan there is reason to suspect that have seen a bit less of the hard fishing that the convertible version of the boat would have and a bit more pleasure cruising. Either way, the overall condition of the boat presents a vessel that has been well cared for.

I have not been able to verify if these 3208's are the T versions or the TA's. They do have the turbo and are rated at 320HP. Where would I look on the engine to find the after-cooler since then name plate only states 3208. I know that the turbos are a maintenance item that needs scheduled attention. What is involved and typically what are the costs for doing the maintenance on them?

If my deal is accepted I look forward to officially joining the family as an owner.

Thanks again as your collective input makes this forum pretty much the encyclopedia of all things boating.

320s should be straight turbo. No aftercooler.

BTW, per the dealer, every CAT reman 3208 is sleeved back to standard. But that is not necessary for rebuilding. A simple oversize will work just fine. A quick lookup with one part manufacturer offers .020" and .040". So there's two rebuilds right there, then you go to sleeves. How much time do we expect to put on these things after all?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I replaced a pair of cummins 5.9 engines at 11,000 hours. According to the machinist that checked they were easily withing spec to bore to .020 over. I'm sure the cats are similar for wear.

Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.