Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Re: Crime in the Bahamas

Bret I agree to some extent but there is another aspect to the attitude. The second home owners from the U.S. have pushed up the value of property so high the locals cannot afford a house anymore. That is unless they commute many miles using very expensive gas. We heard it first hand last week from a local we have known for quite a while.

The outer islands of the Abacos have become quite exclusive. Destination weddings frequently close down whole facilities such as Firefly, The Abaco Inn, the Hope Town Harbour Lodge etc..

As one friend put it "The Bahamians' idea of a perfect guest is one that gets off the plane, hands over a check and gets back on the plane.". We were just there for a week and things were fine for the most part. Many of the folks we have interacted with stopped their work to come over and give us a hug or shake hands.

BTW the new power plant took a nasty turn and has been shut down. It could be quite a while before rolling black outs across ALL of Abaco are resolved.
    Last edited by Dan Mapes; 02-22-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    Regards
    Dan

This is off topic and related to the comments on the previous pages, but I have long wondered why if urban areas are so dangerous and "urban people" are so prone to violence, all of our mass killers and school shooters are white men and boys? And why does it seem like so many of these school shootings take place, not in poor areas, but in middle class or even wealthy places?

Has there ever been a school shooting by a black kid or one in a mostly minority school? I honestly do not know the answer, maybe there has and I just don't know about it.

Have you been to an urban school without armed security guards and metal detectors?

Plus most of the urban school shootings are between students on the playground or in the neighborhood. Half the kids ammo is wasted on the way there.

It's always the soft targets that get the worst outcomes. No security. No one expected a shooter because life in the sticks is different.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Westfield 11 View Post
    This is off topic and related to the comments on the previous pages, but I have long wondered why if urban areas are so dangerous and "urban people" are so prone to violence, all of our mass killers and school shooters are white men and boys? And why does it seem like so many of these school shootings take place, not in poor areas, but in middle class or even wealthy places?

Has there ever been a school shooting by a black kid or one in a mostly minority school? I honestly do not know the answer, maybe there has and I just don't know about it.
    Wrong. The Orlando killer was a muslim.
    Regards
    Dan

Pulse in Orlando was a club not a school. And yes the shooter was a muslim.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

As far as poor area shootings go, those kids are probably in families that cannot afford weapons.
    Regards
    Dan

That's not been my experience, I grew up nearly poor with a lot of friends in school worse off than me and their families all had guns. Mostly long guns, it was the '60s, and back then gun ownership was all about hunting and wasn't so "tactical". IIRC my state didn't allow deer hunting with rifled arms, so everyone had a shotgun or two. Anyway it sure seemed that there was no shortage of firearms on the other side of the tracks. I don't see why it would not be the same today.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    So the link is old but instead of providing more updated info you dispute what they say (Walt- can't say your stats lie as you don't provide any) or write more conjecture (Sky- I'd opine you would lose that bet).
    Here are a couple more links that should satisfy you both. Per Forbes, Chicago isn't in the top 20. The Bismark Tribune not in the top 30.
    Why is it so hard to admit your perception is divorced from reality?
    https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj4.../#265ee16169d9
    https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj4.../#265ee16169d9
    What's so very sad is these cities have one commonality, and it's not the property or drugs. Ever see "The First 48?" For whatever reason, it's that way everywhere.Tell me why?

A good friend of mine had his brother and three friends beaten to death with a hammer in the Bahamas. Outstanding family, tore them apart. Guns save lives in the right hands, with the right training. Of course it takes courage as well, as was recently demonstrated in a negative way.

Or a bigger hammer? Or even a knife? Detroit News showed an exchange tonight between a robber and a woman and her daughter. Multiple shots fired at close range. Everyone survived.
    Guess the victims of the robbery attempt or the perpetrator or all of them were lucky no one was armed with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I think you answered your own question. No one can recommend going anywhere and be safe in today’s world. You cruise where you feel comfortable and carry a bigger gun with lots of rounds.
    Seven, This is Diakon. Sorry to get off topic, but, I just purchased a 1973 53'Hatteras. Do you know how big the holding tank on your 79 is? I would assume they're about the same size. Thank you, Diakon