Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Re: Crime in the Bahamas

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Guys, Please let's not get into a pissing contest over who's city is better or worse. I merely made a
    suggestion regarding an early post on this thread which suggested that NYC was a high crime city, which
    is not the case any more. While it was years ago, the city has made a remarkable turnabout and according
    to the FBI stats and others it is now one of the safest large city's in the world. I'm sure that the numbers
    about Chicago are due to just a portion of the city (south side) but the entire city suffers the bad rap.
    Hopefully this too shall change for the better if and when all the gang turf wars go away. BTW I am
    not a New Yorker and have never been a resident of any City. I grew up on a small farm in the 30's and
    40's in central NJ when we didn't really know what crime was, as it was only things that happened in the
    large city's like Chicago and New York mostly due to organized crime activities....

Please don't get defensive and if I offended anyone, please accept my apology as that was not my
    intention.

Walt

Don't even mention some wop mayor took on the mafia back when it was at its worst and cleaned up the city.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Wop = With Out Papers,

Could be alot of people

Tim

Actually I think he was the AG when he took on the mob. For that they made him mayor.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

It's a great story and one that got him elected mayor, unfortunately crime had begun its decline under the previous administration and continued down at the same rate for a decade or more. Broken Windows policing and "stop and frisk" got a lot of press, but removing lead from paint and fuel in the 1970's had more to do with declines in the crime rate everywhere in the country including NYC. Less young men entering adulthood with poor impulse control and emotional instability = less crime.......

Statistical crime may have already been going down, but there were a lot more subtle "crimes" going on i.e. the window washers extorting money from motorists, or the rampant prostitution on 42nd St.

It was a night and day difference after he became mayor and literally cleaned up the town.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Rudy was actually the U.S. Attorney for NYC for several years and really got a lot of press about his
    successful prosecution of a lot of dirty politicians and organized crime figures. Things like murder,
    prostitution etc are the responsibility of the local law enforcement folks (NYC police). He became very
    popular for his success and ran for mayor where he got to appoint the police commissioner of his choice
    and together they did a pretty good job of cleaning up the city.. Yes there is still plenty of crime there
    but things like tourists getting mugged on 8th Ave etc are pretty much a thing of the past. The immediate
    former governor of NJ, Chris Christi was in a similar position as US Attorney for NJ and he successfully
    prosecuted many crooked politicians (NJ had/has plenty to pick from). As a result he got himself
    elected as governor.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    Wop = With Out Papers,

Could be alot of people

Tim
    I guess I was not clear in my ethnic description.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I got it.

I am Italian. Heard that alot growing up.

Tim Pacini

Italian American here.

WOP is a derogatory term, as bad as S*ic Ni**er, G*oK, and K*ke.

I grew up in Brooklyn, when as a kid and it was as safe as can be then. Now, not so much. The first 6 -8 minutes of the NY news reports all of the homicides that day, and it happens everyday. The Commie Mayor (look it up - He was a card carrying Communist before He changed his name and took his Mothers maiden name) has made it as bad as Chicago.
    So I guess it's a tie now.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Stop with the Chicago bashing! My daughter lives there, downtown, and loves it. It's one of my favorite places, and I'll be there in a couple of weeks for the First Look For Charity Auto Show. My daughter has a simple rule...stay off any street with a number name!
    I live in a suburb of Chicago and it has the highest gun laws in the country and has the highest murder rate too. It's on the north side, souts side all over, car jacking is on the rise. It may be a fun place to visit. Politicians in Chicago are so corrupted, we have the most Goveners in prison, one of the highest tax rates for goods and property tax in the country. Were getting ready to sell our two houses to get out and move to Florida. It's not bashing when it's truth. I've lived here for 40years now.