Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Re: Crime in the Bahamas

Stop with the Chicago bashing! My daughter lives there, downtown, and loves it. It's one of my favorite places, and I'll be there in a couple of weeks for the First Look For Charity Auto Show. My daughter has a simple rule...stay off any street with a number name!

in Comparison.

I live in this area

Satellite Beach, Florida
    Violent Crimes per 1,000: 0.57
    Property Crimes per 1,000: 1.72
    Murders 0
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I suspect that it is only in the US that one would encounter on a boating forum a " discussion" about which cities had the highest rates of gun violence. Over 600 gun deaths in Chicago in 2017 and more than 3400 woundings from gunfire and as stated by PeterK, there are 13 urban communities in the US that have higher gun-related violent crime statistics. Not a statistic I would brag about but on the other hand, I live in a city where there was once a shooting though I can not remember how many decades ago.

I’m headed to the Abacos Monday and I’ll carry my AR plus a .45. For over 30yrs in the Bahamas I’ve never had to point a gun at anyone and I’d love to keep it that way but unfortunately bad people do exist. Nassau has gotten really bad lately but the out islands have always been a different story. 13 years ago the admiral lost her purse at Port Lucaya on a crazy evening of 4th of July. The next morning we picked it up at lost and found without even a dollar missing. The majority of Bahamians are good people, just stay away from the metro areas.
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

Give me a shout when you get to Abaco. We made the run yesterday from Spanish Wells to Marsh Harbour (Little Harbor entry with 6 footer was character building). We're at Mangoes, aboard Hidden Treasure.. misrable weather though.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Give me a shout when you get to Abaco. We made the run yesterday from Spanish Wells to Marsh Harbour (Little Harbor entry with 6 footer was character building). We're at Mangoes, aboard Hidden Treasure.. misrable weather though.
    The Admiral is flying into Marsh to meet me, I should be down that way later in the week. Hoping for good WX.
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

I caught a blow boater in an inflatable one night filling zip lock bags of water from my hose. Most of the theft comes from our own fellow boaters. I can't tell you how many hoses and grills I've lost over there.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    Walt, may I suggest you get some facts before you cast aspersions. Lived in the great city of Chicago for many years and it quite frankly pisses me off when comments like yours are made. Chicago is not even in the top ten in per capita murder or violent crime rate.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/...ty-in-america/

Chicago had more total homicides than NY and LA combined last year and the year before. In 2016 there were over 800 homicides in Chicago. What exactly are you trying to defend?

Guys, Please let's not get into a pissing contest over who's city is better or worse. I merely made a
    suggestion regarding an early post on this thread which suggested that NYC was a high crime city, which
    is not the case any more. While it was years ago, the city has made a remarkable turnabout and according
    to the FBI stats and others it is now one of the safest large city's in the world. I'm sure that the numbers
    about Chicago are due to just a portion of the city (south side) but the entire city suffers the bad rap.
    Hopefully this too shall change for the better if and when all the gang turf wars go away. BTW I am
    not a New Yorker and have never been a resident of any City. I grew up on a small farm in the 30's and
    40's in central NJ when we didn't really know what crime was, as it was only things that happened in the
    large city's like Chicago and New York mostly due to organized crime activities....

Please don't get defensive and if I offended anyone, please accept my apology as that was not my
    intention.

Walt

Sadly the crime turn around has been stopped by Comrade DeBlah-zio... crime has been bumping back thanks to his ultra liberal policies

But stats don't mean everything. Here in Miami I don't lock my boat and I don't lock my car... it depends where you live. I m sure there are safe areas in Chicago or NY
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat