Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: Crime in the Bahamas

And without trying to inflame the carry/don't carry debate....we did declare our weapons onboard..1911 and a Remington 870.. hate if you wish, but I slept well in Port LuCaya.

Just don't take them onto land or fire a round.

They're pretty touchy about that.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    stay sober
    In a country where you are arrested for driving sober?

But seriously, yes Elbow has seen more break ins. Many CCs getting ripped off. Especially those with Yamaha OBs. Over the years we have walked all over Elbow and the last time we were there the truck traffic had us on edge. The Cay has indeed become more busy since 2008. But we always felt safe on the boat.
    They say American boaters are generally left alone since many are armed. Bahamian law is supposedly favorable to captains that defend their ship and passengers, but fortunately we never had to go there.
    We had the 1911, a 38 spc, and a marine grade 12 gauge. Never an issue checking in.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Thanks Jim and Pascal for your remarks..... I'm actually very happy to hear that it is safe there.

Jim, Just for clarification... New York City has become one of the safest cities in the world. It started
    with Rudy Guliani and has continued to get safer every year. There are many reasons for this which
    would make this post too long. May I suggest that you use Chicago as an example of a high crime city.

Walt
    Walt, may I suggest you get some facts before you cast aspersions. Lived in the great city of Chicago for many years and it quite frankly pisses me off when comments like yours are made. Chicago is not even in the top ten in per capita murder or violent crime rate.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/...ty-in-america/

so the shootings and murders didnt happen?

http://heyjackass.com/category/2017-stats/

They keep making the news for some reason.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Peter,

Sorry but stats don't lie. I'm sure the great majority of the killings and other crime is probably in the
    south side but it is still in Chicago. FBI figures are available and the fair city of Chicago is a war zone
    compared to New York City.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    Walt, may I suggest you get some facts before you cast aspersions. Lived in the great city of Chicago for many years and it quite frankly pisses me off when comments like yours are made. Chicago is not even in the top ten in per capita murder or violent crime rate.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/10/...ty-in-america/
    That link is from 2013-14. I'll bet they've come up higher on the list since then.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Maybe its more Fake news

It their way of keeping people away
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Chicago, Illinois
    > Violent crime rate: 1,106 per 100,000
    > 2016 murders: 765
    > Poverty rate: 22.3%
    > Unemployment rate: 6.5
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Peter,

Sorry but stats don't lie. I'm sure the great majority of the killings and other crime is probably in the
    south side but it is still in Chicago. FBI figures are available and the fair city of Chicago is a war zone
    compared to New York City.

Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    That link is from 2013-14. I'll bet they've come up higher on the list since then.
    So the link is old but instead of providing more updated info you dispute what they say (Walt- can't say your stats lie as you don't provide any) or write more conjecture (Sky- I'd opine you would lose that bet).
    Here are a couple more links that should satisfy you both. Per Forbes, Chicago isn't in the top 20. The Bismark Tribune not in the top 30.
    Why is it so hard to admit your perception is divorced from reality?
    https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj4.../#265ee16169d9
    https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj4.../#265ee16169d9
    Last edited by PeterK; 01-17-2018 at 11:23 AM.