Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just Conversating - as we say on Long Island

Yes, I realize that is not a word. However, I just wanted to share some thoughts and express my appreciation again for the HOF folks here. As you may know, I recently bought a 2001 56 Ocean. I had the pleasure or running it a total of six hours before needing to winterize it. Aside from an ECM issue mentioned in another thread, the fit and finish appears very nice and the speed of the boat is exceptional. However, and the reason for this thread, I have a new found appreciation for Hatteras. I have owned (and still own) Hatteras boats for the past 20 years or so. I never really appreciated the incredible support from the folks here and the old-timers at Hatteras, as well as the build quality of the boats. Not to knock Ocean (at least not too much), I am finding an alarming number of areas in the boat that are simply inaccessible. These are areas that have electrical components that may one day need to be changed, or air conditioning duct work and the like. I have a large black box with a cable connected to it under some bridge seating. It is too far away from any access to even see the writing on it. I have no idea what it is.On my Hatteras boats, there was always a ready access panel wherever I needed one and gaining access was never a problem. Not so on the Ocean. What a pity. Also, the incredible wealth of knowledge and support here on the HOF is amazing. I need to replace a potentiometer and/or rocker switch on a few dimmers. I have yet to find anyone who knows what model switches Ocean used throughout the boat or where I can source them. That never was an issue here. So, to bring this to a timely end, I have a new found appreciation both for the Hatteras build quality and thoughtfulness as well as the folks here. It is invaluable.

Re: Just Conversating - as we say on Long Island

Is there an "Ocean owners group?

Hatteras has 67 years of boats and owners, many very dedicated, 600 + 53MY for example.

This site has many members willing or take the time to share, even with a non Hat owner.

What harbor does your Ocean call home?
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Ive worked on some of those and I can tell you the areas are not inaccessible. Their tests for contortionist and telekinetic skills.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    Is there an "Ocean owners group?

Hatteras has 67 years of boats and owners, many very dedicated, 600 + 53MY for example.

This site has many members willing or take the time to share, even with a non Hat owner.

What harbor does your Ocean call home?
    Close by in Huntington Harbor at HYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Ive worked on some of those and I can tell you the areas are not inaccessible. Their tests for contortionist and telekinetic skills.
    Scott - one area requires arms that are about six feet long and require 90 degree bends. Sounds like circus side shows..

John, try the parts guy at the Canyon Club Marina in Cape May, they have more Ocean Yacht knowledge than probably anyone, 609-884-6646. Not positive but think their parts mgr may have come over from Ocean when they closed. Btw, those switches might be Vimar, some of the older models have become very hard to locate, DRSA in Riviera Beach still has a lot of the older styles in stock, staff is very helpful there too.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Close by in Huntington Harbor at HYC.
    NYC, Northport. Guess we'll eventually meet.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Scott - one area requires arms that are about six feet long and require 90 degree bends. Sounds like circus side shows..
    Been there. Im replacing the crappy dc switches on a 50c bridge with a custom switch and breaker panel. I will be spending about 4 hours underneath. It's a bit confiningat best. Tight around my middle in the access panel but my gut compresses.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    John, try the parts guy at the Canyon Club Marina in Cape May, they have more Ocean Yacht knowledge than probably anyone, 609-884-6646. Not positive but think their parts mgr may have come over from Ocean when they closed. Btw, those switches might be Vimar, some of the older models have become very hard to locate, DRSA in Riviera Beach still has a lot of the older styles in stock, staff is very helpful there too.
    This is what this forum is about...... Thank you Cricket

Walt

Thanks Holden. The potentiometer is on its way from Canyon. Great steer.