Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Crime in the Bahamas

I wanted to get opinions from the forum about whether the crime situation in the Bahamas is reaching the point where one shouldn’t go. I have been to the Bahamas about 7 times now. Typically avoid Nassau and Freeport except to drop someone off for a flight or a quick fill up. The State Dept (??) has issued an upgraded warning for employees not to go to certain parts of Nassau. Then a Bahamian newspaper is reporting that there have been 3 murders in Freeport since the beginning of 2018. I also read in that same article that the new prime minister mentioned contemplating resuming hangings. If I was slick enough with the computer I would attach the state dept notice and the newspaper article. The crime in Freeport and Nassau is not new news. I have always avoided those two places. What is concerning is there has been a rash of home robberies and boat thefts on and around Elbow Cay in the Abacos. So after all of that do you guys think that the islands of the Exumas including Georgetown and Eluethera are relatively safe to visit. Would love to go back to the Abacos but will wait to see if things settle down some between now and next June. Thanks for your time.

Re: Crime in the Bahamas

I think you answered your own question. No one can recommend going anywhere and be safe in today’s world. You cruise where you feel comfortable and carry a bigger gun with lots of rounds.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

You can not cary a gun in the bahamas. You need to be ahead of the bad guys and in places where there's good security.

In some areas of higher crime you can got to the more exp3nsive marinas and resorts with security in florida. I'm sure there's similar places in the bahamas.

Yes they cost more but what would you expect?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

At anchor in Georgetown last week and bonefishing around Great Exuma now, travelling by car. Crime, really. Of course there are some ***soles here but also the very best of people. Where is this not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    You can not cary a gun in the bahamas. You need to be ahead of the bad guys and in places where there's good security.

In some areas of higher crime you can got to the more exp3nsive marinas and resorts with security in florida. I'm sure there's similar places in the bahamas.

Yes they cost more but what would you expect?
    I meant on your boat.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Colwyn D View Post
    At anchor in Georgetown last week and bonefishing around Great Exuma now, travelling by car. Crime, really. Of course there are some ***soles here but also the very best of people. Where is this not the case?
    You say “crime, really” which makes me think you find my concern ridiculous. Maybe you don’t mean that. I tried to make it clear that it was the apparent increase in crime that has me concerned. When our government upgrades a warning, that leads me to believe that the situation is getting worse. You make it sound as if crime is the same everywhere because everywhere has ***soles. So one should feel just as safe in downtown Chicago as one would feel in downtown Palm Beach.

We spend a lot of time on the Bahamas.

We don't go to Freeport but NAS we don't go anywhere past sundown and even during the day we re careful If we anchor (usually by Atholl) we lock the doors at night.

We spend most of of the time in the Exuma and crime isn't a problem. Not it is in the berrys. We don't lock the doors and never worry. I have never heard on an incident there.

Gtown has had the occasional issue with stolen tender or outboard. We typically bring the tende back onboard.

We often anchor in empty anchorages and never worry
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thank you all for your responses. Pascal I was hoping you would chime in.

Kind of makes me appreciate the good ol USA even more when I read about this stuff. I have cruised
    in the Bahamas but it was years ago and it was safe except for the drug dealers. I would think long and
    hard about doing it today...especially since it's near impossible to defend yourself (with a gun or other
    type of weapon) without getting into deep trouble. I strongly believe that if boat owners were encouraged
    to be armed (at least like in the US) the low life criminal types would think twice about their career choice
    and tourism would increase. Oh well, what do I know, I'm just an old dinosaur.

Walt