Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Re: Crime in the Bahamas

Quote Originally Posted by ADOPO View Post
    A good friend of mine had his brother and three friends beaten to death with a hammer in the Bahamas.
    Can you share some of the specifics of this horrific crime? When, Where and the circumstances?

As a new Florida boat owner eager to take my first trip across (to Abacos) your post is most concerning.

I would like to hear more as well Because in never heard about this and we go to the Bahamas a few times a year.

My guess is that this happened in Nassau, after dark. Did it?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Not recent but I also had a friend robbed and killed in Nassau. Left the boat for a walk and never came back. They found his body a week later someone passing buy smelled the rotting body. It took a couple more days for the keystone kops to identify him because his wallet was gone and no ID. Like diving it pays to use the buddy system.
    You can't carry a gun but a machete is no problem for wild dogs and such.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I have been cruising there since the 70's. Very safe other than Nassau and Freeport. Just don't go to Nassau and leave boat unattended if anchored out. Very good chance of losing your dinghy there. Better yet if you must go to Nassau stay in a Marina. Best idea never go to Nassau.Some small risk to dinghy's and outboards at other population centers such as Georgetown and Abaco's but Bahamas as safe as cruising area as there is. Naturally don't tempt locals or yachties by leaving things out on deck that are valuable and easy to pick up while you are ashire or out in the dink.

We were docked at Port Lucaya years back, got up one morning to learn a boat nearby had a 32 CC they towed and tied along side was cut loose and stolen. That same evening the owners of a different boat went to eat had left their boat unlocked, the ladies purse among other things were stolen. Apparently local's are watching all the boats for an opportunity to take advantage. Needless to say, we have not been back.

Port lucaya has nevr appealed to me... NAS is sometimes a place we have to go to pick up guests. We ve spent a few nights on the hook over the year, usually over By Atholl. Dinghy goes back up at night and doors are locked, as well as if we go to the beach with the tender.

Never locke up the Exumas but usually i get the tender back up at night anyway. Takes a couple of minutes and i sleep better
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Forgive the small hijack.

Story on ABC yesterday about an unarmed clerk who successfully fought off three armed robbers without a scratch--my hero. Of course, ABC added law enforcement's advice to always comply with someone with a gun unless you feel your life is being threatened. I don't know about you, but someone holding a gun on me might make me consider that as a basis for feeling like my life was being threatened. Morons to the left of me, morons to the right of me.

Sorry it wasn't in the Bahamas.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC