Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: DD 8v71s and 8v92s info

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    With regard to the seawater pumps on Cummins 6BTA5.9s.... I know you have to remove and support the motor mount on the front to change out the pump, but I had the impression you could change the impeller only, without removing the pump and thus having to take out the motor mount.

There is an aftermarket pump made for Cummins Diamond engines, B and C series, from Seaboard Marine in Oxnard, CA. It is a perfect fit, and each pump comes with a spare impeller and the tool to change it. Basically it is an upgrade in materials and design from the Sherwood pump, which have a bad reputation. It is also cheaper than the Sherwood pump. It is made in South Korea, I think, to a design by Tony Athens from SBMar. I have a set of them on my boat and they have done well for me. Sorry for the thread drift.
    Hey Jim,

Tony Athens is the man when it comes to Cummins engines.

Our old boat, sold last summer, had the 6BTAs. They were a repower upgrade from gasoline engines by a previous owner. The mounting plates for the motor mounts obstructed the access to the back of the pump, making it much more difficult to change just the impeller. It's someone else's problem now. Heavily leaning toward Hatteras for the next boat, thanks in large part to the great answers provided on here.

There doesn't seem to be any other make that is as well supported as Hatteras, in terms of parts and knowledge for their older boats. But I haven't looked around at other forums and sites, so there may be a lot out there. I know that there are people who have other brands of older boats who visit us, because there are a lot of parts in common, and there is a great deal of expertise on our forum. Not, I hasten to add, with me personally, as I am still learning all this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Not, I hasten to add, with me personally, as I am still learning all this stuff.
    Aren't we all, brother? Aren't we all.

4. Re: DD 8v71s and 8v92s info

I can also tell you the 92 series will run "bad" for a long time. They'll always get you home......

Quote Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
    I can also tell you the 92 series will run "bad" for a long time. They'll always get you home......
    Unless you overheat them. They don't run well when the o-rings get cooked and drop all of the coolant into the oil pan. Had many a truck towed in like that. Of course all of them were before the "silver series".
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

6. Re: DD 8v71s and 8v92s info

Not the engines fault. The drivers should have been fired.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Unless you overheat them. They don't run well when the o-rings get cooked and drop all of the coolant into the oil pan. Had many a truck towed in like that. Of course all of them were before the "silver series".
    IMO, that's the main weak point with wet sleeve engines. Some enterprising engineer would do well to come up with some sort of "O" ring that could withstand much higher temperatures in the event of some overheating. If that could be done then I believe the wet sleeve engine would be perfect.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    IMO, that's the main weak point with wet sleeve engines. Some enterprising engineer would do well to come up with some sort of "O" ring that could withstand much higher temperatures in the event of some overheating. If that could be done then I believe the wet sleeve engine would be perfect.

Walt
    Perhaps NASA could work on that.

Robert Patch

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin' View Post
    Perhaps NASA could work on that.

Robert Patch
    Yeah, they were big in O-rings back in the '80's.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post

Walt
    I wonder what elastomer is used for the "O" ring. Kalrez or Viton would surely meet the upper temperature limits.

Bobk