Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: DD 8v71s and 8v92s info

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    I wonder what elastomer is used for the "O" ring. Kalrez or Viton would surely meet the upper temperature limits.

Bobk
    Hey Bob, There's a good retirement business opportunity for you.... get someone to manufacture
    them and all you need to do is distribute them to dealers etc. You can probably make at least 10 or
    20 dollars a day doing this..... Seriously a suggestion to whoever makes the present O rings would be
    a great idea. My concern is that why hasn't it been done already....

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Hey Bob, There's a good retirement business opportunity for you.... get someone to manufacture
    them and all you need to do is distribute them to dealers etc. You can probably make at least 10 or
    20 dollars a day doing this..... Seriously a suggestion to whoever makes the present O rings would be
    a great idea. My concern is that why hasn't it been done already....

Walt
    Walt, I'm a practitioner of that great stage of life known as retirement and I'm sticking to that story!

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Yeah, they were big in O-rings back in the '80's.
    Robert, that infamous 'failure' was because the engine was started at a temperature below the design basis of the "O" ring. The engineers knew it and recommended waiting, but politics at a very high level wanted the shot.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    Robert, that infamous 'failure' was because the engine was started at a temperature below the design basis of the "O" ring. The engineers knew it and recommended waiting, but politics at a very high level wanted the shot. Bobk
    Thanks. I’m aware of the history. The attempt at humor was based on the suggestion to have NASA give advice on TEMPERATURE sensitive O-rings.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I have 8V92s turbos in my 54MY and had a pair of 6V92 DDECs in a 48 Sea Ray a decade ago. The smaller block DDECs that are over-engineered to operate at the higher end of the RPM range don't compare to the older 8V92s. Engine noise in the pilot house while underway is not an issue. My wife and I take our boat down the ICW each year in late November and operate from inside as it is too cool for the fly bridge. Provided the seals on the engine room doors are sound, you will have no issues.

Charles
    Reveille
    1987 54 MY