Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

DD 8v71s and 8v92s info

Afternoon all,

Being doing a little research on the specs, history, and reputation of these engines. The general impression I'm getting is that they are noisy, tend to smoke, leak oil regularly, and need to be rebuilt about every 2000 hours. On the positive side, parts availability and prices are decent. As a two-stroke engine, they don't get nearly the fuel consumption rate at hull speeds compared to four stroke engines like the Cummins.

Please school me on the good and bad of the 8v71s and 8v92s.

Thanks.

John

Re: DD 8v71s and 8v92s info

John,

Detroits ain't noisy. They are loud alright, but what a sound! 2000 hour rebuilds if they're turbos and run hard. Less than 2000 if they aren't maintained. Lots more hours if run at hull speed and lots and lots if they're naturals. They can smoke, but I've seen every brand smoke--lots of variables. With attention to detail, the leaks can be almost completely eliminated--my ER is clean. 71's are considered to be a bit more bullet-proof than 92's. Plenty of others will jump in I'm certain.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Detroits ain't noisy. They are loud alright, but what a sound!
    Robert,

We've been looking at the 53 EDMY. Other than docking or anchoring, we're planning to spend the majority of time underway at the lower helm station. My wife is going to rule out a Hatteras if 8v71s are loud enough at hull speed that we have to raise our voices to carry on a conversation in the pilothouse. We'll end up looking for a different brand of boat.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
    Robert,

We've been looking at the 53 EDMY. Other than docking or anchoring, we're planning to spend the majority of time underway at the lower helm station. My wife is going to rule out a Hatteras if 8v71s are loud enough at hull speed that we have to raise our voices to carry on a conversation in the pilothouse. We'll end up looking for a different brand of boat.
    Well I guess that's why call'em admirals.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

We run our 48' MY with 6V92's at 1000-1100 RPM. Noise isn't bad inside but we never run from below. On the bridge it is quiet.

We have >4000 hours on them SMOH and there is no smoke, they start easily and we burn 5.5-6 gph at 8 knots. Mine are the small 425 HP versions. The stories about shorter lives in the 92's is really related to the sports fish where the owners push them hard.

Good luck in your search. These Hatteras yachts are great boats and this forum is a good place for all sorts of information and advice about them.

Bobk

On my 56MY (8v92tti) we carried on conversation at normal voice levels at hull speed and didn't have to raise our voices much if going all out.
    There are more dockside myths about these engines than about anything else in boating. Rather than once again beat this horse to death, Search the archives here and boatdiesel.com... pages and pages of experience already related. If not cared for, yes, they can smoke (especially if way over-propped) and leak if ignored, but they shouldn't.
    Last edited by GJH; 01-15-2018 at 06:06 PM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by JohnEasley View Post
    Robert,

All boats underway are noisy, drive from the fly bridge and take in the sights and fresh air. Most DD have minor leaks but that’s part of the general maintenance. Mine do not smoke even at start up. I don’t run her at WOT but do blow her out just before I berth. I have 1800 hours and have friends with 4,000 hours and they are still strong. It all depends on how you treat them. I agree with Robert Oh what a sound. Great motors.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'm a new Yorker from birth so I can carry on a conversation over my Detroit's with no mufflers at wot.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Almost every 53MY I see has 871's. There is one 1986 that has 692's that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I'm a new Yorker from birth so I can carry on a conversation over my Detroit's with no mufflers at wot.
    We sons of the South will affirm.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC