Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Blown Turbo mount gasket - Again

Back in the hole this weekend. Bad exhaust leak stbd engine, right side turbo. Again. Engine is 6v92ta Covington, 1979. I replaced the turbo 2 years ago, and seem to remember that one nut seemed to not tighten completely - turned stud when it bottomed out. That's the stud/nut that is damn near impossible to get a wrench on. I'm not sure I trust a helicoil for this application, and I can get a bolt into the hole from the bottom, so I'm considering replacing the stud with a grade 8 fine thread bolt. Thoughts?

20180121_185443.jpg
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: Blown Turbo mount gasket - Again

Do it. Bolts on mine.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Grade 8 fine thread? How long have they been in place?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

It seems that perhaps there are high temp bolts available?
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Grade 8 fine thread? How long have they been in place?
    Two years on a couple and less on a couple. Didn’t use fine thread.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I like the idea of a nut and bolt much better than the original especially if it's accessible to a couple of
    wrenches (box preferably). I have 6-92's in my boat and I see a slight leak on one of the turbos on
    the port engine. My DD guy says it's fine but I'm not so sure since I see a little trace of carbon on the
    heat blanket. If you do the nut and bolt route, please be sure to keep us informed on how difficult it
    was with some details...including how many four letter words were required to complete the job. Thanks

Walt

A Helicoil is one of the best threading solutions in existence. Some applications install them right on the production line.

I would trust a Helicoil over fine thread in cast iron any day of the week.

That being said,... it might be time to pull those manifolds and get the flanges trued.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I like the idea of a nut and bolt much better than the original especially if it's accessible to a couple ofwrenches (box preferably). I have 6-92's in my boat and I see a slight leak on one of the turbos onthe port engine. My DD guy says it's fine but I'm not so sure since I see a little trace of carbon on theheat blanket. If you do the nut and bolt route, please be sure to keep us informed on how difficult itwas with some details...including how many four letter words were required to complete the job. Thanks Walt
    Walt, slight leaks become major leaks. I had very little difficulty with nuts and bolts.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Walt,
    You need to determine where the leak is coming from. Is it from the inlet (riser), the outlet where the v-clamp is, or from the center (cartridge) area? Soot in the ER is bad and it won't get any better by itself. I just pulled one of my turbos this weekend. It was leaking a bit from the center. The shop is rebuilding it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

10. Re: Blown Turbo mount gasket - Again

There is no such thing as a small exhaust leak.
    Any exhaust leak, no matter how small or seemingly insignificent, needs to be addressed as soon as possible.