Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What to buy...?

What to buy...?

Hello everyone, There is some great information on this forum which has been very useful to me, so thank you in advance. I am considering purchasing a Hatterss 56’ sometime in the next few months. There are currently a few on the market to choose from and I would appreciate some feedback from previous owners as to what to look for and budgetary figures for certain major repairs. Currently, I have two issues I need to better understand; 1 - Virtually all these boats listed for sale are on the east coast. I am based in the West Coast. So my two options are cargo ship or the Panama Canal. For now I have budgeted $30,000 not including preparations. Is this realistic? Which is the preferred method? Based on actual experience, how ambitious of an endeavor would that be for a smart, prepared but inexperienced crew to undertake? 2 - With this models widebody design I noticed many of the possible candidates have water damage and some wood damage around the aft windows. In such a case the interior will need to be stripped wall panels and flooring. What should I exspect beyond a basic carpentry and woodworking project? Is this a do it yourself pipe repair or something better left to professionals. When budgeting for such a repair what should I be aware of?
    Last edited by blackacre; 01-12-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: What to buy...?

$25k to $30k should be enough to get you a boat delivered by a Captain to the west coast. I wouldn't try to do this on your own if you have never owned a yacht.

Before you buy, make sure the marina where you want to store her allows liveaboards and has space for your boat. Slips in California for liveaboards typically have a waiting list.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Thanks Ron. This will be my 3rd boat, first motor yacht. I have owned 2 sailboats, 34’ being the largest. Several nautical classes and certifications in addition to relevant aviation related experience. I am not opposed to hiring a captain for delivery but my guess is the experience is going to be a lot of fun. Something I won’t want to miss out on.

Put it on a ship to get it to the west coast, you will spend at least $25k in fuel alone to go on it's own bottom, it's way cheaper between the fuel and wear and tear.
    Good luck with your boat search, there's quite a few members on here that will be able to help with MY advice.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks Cricket. I was thinking $20k in fuel at 10kts from south east to south west. But you raise a good point about engine wear. What do most owners use for budgeting engine overhaul cost? I estimated $15 per hour, per engine.

I believe that $3k per cylinder will get you in the ballpark.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

To overhaul a set of Detroit Diesel 12V71Tis I was quoted $80,000 for the pair. Old rule of thumb was $3000 per cylinder but costs are creeping up.
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

A boat needs to be in top top condition for trip from Florida trans canal and back up to the US west coast.
    There's very few 20-35 year old boats that are in that type of condition for such a journey. Even brand new 60 - 80 feet sporfish boats take the ship to Costa Rica because of the wear and tear, and it's just cheaper anyway.
    Usually don't look at the MY's but did look at Yachtworld, the 1983 56' in Ohio is so original it looks like it just left the factory, freshwater and heated indoor storage is like botox for boats.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Ship it. There is a lot of open water on the trip and coastal waters which are increasingly unsafe. It's also a lot of wear and tear not just on the engines but on the generators and the rest of the boat.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks Ron and Bob. I have read about that "rule of thumb" of $2k or $3k per cylinder before. Does that include servicing the turbos & chargers as well? What about the heat exchangers, transmission, exhaust and other related components. Looking for something comparable to the aviation industry's use of the terms Major Overall or the lesser top/bottom overhaul. Also, is the cost similar for the DD 71 series and the DD 92 series engines?