Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 53/54 Motor Yachts - introduction and questions

Good luck with your search. I have been searching for over a year for a nice 53MY and the nice ones sell FAST !! I'm not in a hurry as I'm 3-5yrs from retiring so I'm patiently waiting for the right one.

Check out some of the older threads on this subject. I remember others who have looked at a lot of the boats that are for sale and even though they looked good in the ads, in person they were not that good, so you cannot rely on what is pictured or written on Yachtworld. I second the comment on the good ones going fast and usually at pretty good prices. A 53 motoryacht just sold in calif. for close to $300,000, but it was really nice. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Check out some of the older threads on this subject. I remember others who have looked at a lot of the boats that are for sale and even though they looked good in the ads, in person they were not that good, so you cannot rely on what is pictured or written on Yachtworld. I second the comment on the good ones going fast and usually at pretty good prices. A 53 motoryacht just sold in calif. for close to $300,000, but it was really nice. John
    I agree, Lots of forum members remember Mike's boat in Kent Narrows. It was pristine I understand,
    and it sold a couple of days after Eric listed it. The nice one's always go fast. The problem is that they
    are few and far between. Many never make the market place. I just sold my 1982 Series 1, 48 MY
    and I never got around to listing it. I did sell it at a very realistic price and it went to a very nice couple
    who can and will be kind to her...besides I'm sure I'll get to go out on it from time to time.

As I suggested in an earlier post, if you have an interest in a specific boat and it's near a forum member
    I'm sure if you ask for someone to eye ball it before you take the time and expense to travel far only to
    find it's not what the pictures show. It's done often and it's just one more of many benefits of being on
    this forum.

Walt

I was where you are back in '09 but having never owned one before. From looking on the internet and going on a '53 here, I'd decided on a 53. I went to florida and looked at one. But then I looked at a 53 ED and was *convinced* that was what I wanted...until.....a broker took me to a '56. Once on the
    56....there was no looking back.....(for me)....

I suggest you go on these boats. Pictures do not tell you the whole story.

Listen to your wife. Beam is where the room is. a foot 'n half ...or ...two feet.... of extra beam makes for a completely different category of boat.

The walk around made all the difference for me. You gotta go on these boats.

Good luck and have fun.
    Last edited by dcate; 01-12-2018 at 10:52 PM.
    “Sentry”
    1977 Hatteras 70’ CMY
    #70MY313

beam not only gives you a roomier boat....more importantly....it gives you walk around engine rooms. That's worth it's weight in gold....lifestyle wise. it's where you'll be spending a lot of your time.
    “Sentry”
    1977 Hatteras 70’ CMY
    #70MY313

Quote Originally Posted by dcate View Post
    You gotta go on these boats.

Good luck and have fun.
    Thanks, dcate. We're in the process of scheduling with a local broker now.

Extra beam has advantages and disadvantages. There are many marinas around me that cannot accommodate an 18' beam.

I also noticed that in a marina with a heavy surge, the 18'2" Hatts rolled much more than the 15'10" Hatts did.

It all depends on what works best for you.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Not to complicate things further, but you might consider the 58 MY as well. It is basically the same 1510 hull as the 53. The admiral and I started our search fairly certain that we wanted a 53. A 61 MY happened to be in a marina where we looked at a 53 repo. The 61 had the 18’2” beam and we didn’t like the lines as much as the 1510, but we loved the galley up and extra stateroom below. We found a 58 galley up 2 1/2 years ago and are VERY happy with her.

Not sure where you will be cruising, but as someone else noted, slip options are generally less abundant for the wider beam boats. Not to say you won’t find a slip, but you won’t have as many choices (especially where we are in SW FL during season).

Good luck in your search!
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    you might consider the 58 MY as well.

Good luck in your search!
    Thanks, nauti. It's unlikely we'll consider anything larger than the 53/54 series. It would be nice if we were rich but we're not. We had to draw a line after considering things like slip availability, cost per foot to berth and to haul for bottom jobs, costs to run (bigger boats usually have larger engines). We decided we could reasonably go as large 53 but that was it.

We'll be berthing along the central Florida Gulf coast until we decide to untie and head out.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I also noticed that in a marina with a heavy surge, the 18'2" Hatts rolled much more than the 15'10" Hatts did.
    Can someone please explain the physics of this? I can't wrap my head around it.