Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 6v92ta Turbo mount leak

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    Thanks, Robert. That's a helpful pic. I'm setting up a heater and digging into it this Sat.
    Glad to help. Brush the rust off and paint with phosphoric acid then paint with high temp paint for corrosion protection. Don't forget the metal gaskets for the intake end and spacers. They make a standard and thick metal gasket for the turbo end. I put the thick one on and had to redo; I went with the thin one and used some sealant. Get new Grade 8 nuts, bolts, etc. Use good exhaust sealant--just a thin smear should do it. Use anti-seize and torque everything down tight. Get it up to temp then re-torque while it's hot.
    Last edited by racclarkson@gmail.com; 01-11-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    The bolts on mine were badly corpses and had to be cut off. It seems to me that over time the turbo blanket that fits over that tube promotes condensation and subsequent corrosion. To be clear, the base that attached to the turbo was the part that had the crack in it. Even so, where it connected to the exhaust manifold was badly corroded and unusable as well. That had to be cut away from the exhaust manifold, and I now need that spacer that goes between the exhaust manifold and Turbo tube. That is a $400 dollar part. I couldn’t believe that!
    Yep, pretty pricey. I had a machine shop get out a broken bolt on mine. Had them resurface it as well.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Any time a dry turbo is replaced, the sweep pipe needs to planed . No goop will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Any time a dry turbo is replaced, the sweep pipe needs to planed . No goop will fix it.
    I'm proof that it doesn't X3.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I wouldn't listen to dave. He doesn't know what he's talking about. I hear he spends a lot of time with broken Detroit's so he must not have a clue how to fix them.

By the way if you did replace some and they didnt leak that's great but checking and or truing the surface makes sense. I don't put new rotors on without having them checked and faced for my brakes. I've seen them out of speck brand new in the box. Experience is a great thing right Dave.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.