Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

6v92ta Turbo mount leak

I have a chronic problem with an exhaust leak from under the right turbo of my stbd engine. Every 2 seasons, I have to r&r the turbo and reseat it on a new gasket. The studs no longer hold in the component (riser?) that it mounts on, so I had to replace them with bolts and nuts. I'm considering removing the riser and having it resurfaced, but I'm concerned that I might be opening a can of worms with its overall condition.

Are these readily available, and does anyone have a good source for them? How pricey are they?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Re: 6v92ta Turbo mount leak

Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Try multiple gaskets and different lock washers rated for heat?
    Regards
    Dan

Haven't considered multiple gaskets. I'm curious about how well that would work. It would certainly be easier than getting the riser off.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

Bob, I just had to replace mine and what I found was the end that connects to the exhaust riser actually was cracked. I’ve replaced 2 of these now and each was cracked. Must happen with age. Mine was a mess and I’m glad I replaced with new.

Fuchs 762 high temp sealant, on both sides of the gasket...from Metcalf Marine, or motorcycle repair shops.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjen50 View Post
    Bob, I just had to replace mine and what I found was the end that connects to the exhaust riser actually was cracked. I’ve replaced 2 of these now and each was cracked. Must happen with age. Mine was a mess and I’m glad I replaced with new.
    How bad was the inlet end at the bottom? I'm worried that the studs may be corroded away. I haven't looked yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    How bad was the inlet end at the bottom? I'm worried that the studs may be corroded away. I haven't looked yet.
    No studs. Pipe bolts to manifold or spacer(s) which bolts to manifold.
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks, Robert. That's a helpful pic. I'm setting up a heater and digging into it this Sat.

The bolts on mine were badly corpses and had to be cut off. It seems to me that over time the turbo blanket that fits over that tube promotes condensation and subsequent corrosion. To be clear, the base that attached to the turbo was the part that had the crack in it. Even so, where it connected to the exhaust manifold was badly corroded and unusable as well. That had to be cut away from the exhaust manifold, and I now need that spacer that goes between the exhaust manifold and Turbo tube. That is a $400 dollar part. I couldn’t believe that!