Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Headliner in a 2008

Has anyone removed the headliner in a newer hatteras? There is surprisingly little info (or videos) describing how to remove and reinstall. I am asking as I want to change some wiring without having to pay someone else to remove the headliner. It would have been nice if removeable panels were used, and I wouldn't mind re-doing the headliner with panels down the road. TIA

Re: Headliner in a 2008

Your Hatt is about 30 years too new for this braintrust. Call Hatteras and ask what product the headliner is and go from there. My WAG is Whisper Wall or similar. If so, there is a learning curve. Good luck and lets us old boat guys know what the answer is.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    My WAG is Whisper Wall or similar.
    IF that is the case....

Q240z (username) has a thread on this forum about the epic restoration of his 46 Chris Chraft....He just (had) Whisper Wall installed. He knows ALL about it......

https://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?21511-1969-Chris-Craft-Roamer-46-refit

F
    ollow his link to his blog and find the writeup, or message him
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredup62 View Post
    Has anyone removed the headliner in a newer hatteras? There is surprisingly little info (or videos) describing how to remove and reinstall. I am asking as I want to change some wiring without having to pay someone else to remove the headliner. It would have been nice if removeable panels were used, and I wouldn't mind re-doing the headliner with panels down the road. TIA
    My previous boat was the same vintage as yours, it was a 44 Regal.. the headliner was a padded vinyl over a wobble board type product. It was attached via a stretch and screw method. The headliner material was stapled to the wobble board. In places, the staples were widely spaced allowing for vinyl to be stretched away, a screw securing it to a ceiling batten, then the vinyl tucked back under. If you pressed your fingers around the seams, about an inch in, you could feel the screw heads

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    My previous boat was the same vintage as yours, it was a 44 Regal.. the headliner was a padded vinyl over a wobble board type product. It was attached via a stretch and screw method. The headliner material was stapled to the wobble board. In places, the staples were widely spaced allowing for vinyl to be stretched away, a screw securing it to a ceiling batten, then the vinyl tucked back under. If you pressed your fingers around the seams, about an inch in, you could feel the screw heads
    Thank you! That sounds about right. I was feeling around, and couldn't find any screws but they have to be somewhere. It's so tight right to the margin, can't even feel or see any staples. They did a good job, lol, but wish they did removable panels where access is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Your Hatt is about 30 years too new for this braintrust. Call Hatteras and ask what product the headliner is and go from there. My WAG is Whisper Wall or similar. If so, there is a learning curve. Good luck and lets us old boat guys know what the answer is.
    Well, if it helps any, my first boat was a 1975 36' Hatteras convertible. Fun boat!

I know in early 2000-2002 they were making panel and then sticking them in place using Velcro. It was on a new 54' Hatt where I got that Idea from and did mine the same way.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    I know in early 2000-2002 they were making panel and then sticking them in place using Velcro. It was on a new 54' Hatt where I got that Idea from and did mine the same way.
    I was hoping they did that, but my electronics installer had to drop it last year and there weren't any panels. Should have done it then, but they only dropped a relatively small part.