Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: exhaust hose

Re: exhaust hose

Check for cracks in the fiberglass under where the hose clamps are. I found one that must have been leaking intermittently!

The hose and clamps appeared to have been changed but I have no records of this when I bought the boat a year and a half ago. Apparently it is easy to crack the fiberglass tubes from over zealous tightening of the hose clamps as has been discussed on this forum before.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Ideally there should be a stainless steel sleeve inside the fiberglass tube where the hose is clamped. This is what we re doing in mine
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

mr. johnny, centek makes the stainless sleeves and i do highly recommend them. i replaced my hoses and they did not have sleeves in the original setup. i couldn't get the leaks stopped because the fiberglass tubes were starting to crush. i installed the sleeves and have had no problem since. i used the trident silicone hose, more expensive but much easier to work with

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    mr. johnny, centek makes the stainless sleeves and i do highly recommend them. i replaced my hoses and they did not have sleeves in the original setup. i couldn't get the leaks stopped because the fiberglass tubes were starting to crush. i installed the sleeves and have had no problem since. i used the trident silicone hose, more expensive but much easier to work with
    Big Bill,

Do you mean these:

http://www.centekindustries.com/prod...crush-sleeves/

According to the installation guide, they are inserted inside the fiberglass tube using 5200.

On my boat, the gap between the fiberglass tubes was only an 1" or so which leads me to believe that this was done in the factory 36 years ago. The rubber boot was in surprisingly good condition. I had to cut out a small section of fiberglass where the crack was and then I installed the new rubber boot. I tightened the hose clamps a little bit at a time...carefully! It hasn't leaked since.

I plan on replacing the 3 other joints that I found on my boat with silicone hose as well with these sleeves!

Thanks for the information Big Bill!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

The taiwan built boat i used run didnt have the crush sleeves in the collectors just past the risers where the 12" silicon joint were clamped. All 4 (2 per engine) always leaked, had to repair the cracked glass on tow of them at some point.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks for the info on the sleeves.
    I do plan to use silicone hose.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    The taiwan built boat i used run didnt have the crush sleeves in the collectors just past the risers where the 12" silicon joint were clamped. All 4 (2 per engine) always leaked, had to repair the cracked glass on tow of them at some point.
    Pascal,

I never knew about what a crush sleeve was until you mentioned them.

Before that I would have figured they were something my teenage daughters were all excited about some boy and his shirt!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

I didn't used the name till somebody mentioned it. . I called them inserts.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

On the 41c there is plenty of room to get outside of the fuel tanks and inspect the exhaust.....if one is flexible and under 200lbs lol.

On thing I will never understand on any boat is having the exhaust in the transom exist at or below the water line. Think of all the boats that wouldn't have sunk if the exhaust discharge was just a few inches higher.

These "mufflers" have a built in swing check valve, but they don't muffle as much as I'd like. Maybe one day I'll replace them. Any ideas?

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Tales View Post
    I replaced my engines in the 41c, twice, many years ago. There was rubber hose leaving the riser through the aft engine room bulkhead, into a cigar shaped muffler, rubber hose leaving the muffler supported by 2 plywood cradles, then clamped onto the exhaust passing through the transom. They were sandwiched pretty good between the tank and boat side, but we could get hands on above the rudder posts and assy.

Around the hose going through the engine room bulkhead, there was a 2 piece aluminum fairing to support the hose, and reduced the size of the hole to create a seal which was screwed into the aft bulkhead.

When time to remove all, we removed the hose clamps from the transom exhaust, and off of the engine risers, and the aluminum fairings. A sawsall helped enlarge the pass through on the engine room bulkhead for the larger diameter muffler, and the entire assembly passed forward into the engine room. After breaking down all components, we could pass them out of the engine room hatch.

When time for the new engines, we repeated the process but in reverse, and a AC company made me new fairings to cover the larger holes we introduced.

Now my exhaust hoses were wire reinforced, so a collapse was never visible.

However, after Russ' boat almost sank after his blew off, I check mine all of the time. That includes all hoses.

Hope this helps

Tim
    Tim, What type off mufflers did you put on on your 41C. I need to replace my originals as one is cracking. I still am running the 8V53Ns so I don't need an upgrade but a bit quieter would be nice.

Jim
    1968 41' Mermaid