Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: exhaust hose

exhaust hose

I'm concerned about the age of a rubber exhaust hose on my 1976 42-foot convertible.
    Is there a rubber hose from the back of the muffler to the fiberglass exhaust tube?
    It would be between the fuel tank and the hull, so maybe I need to cut the deck to change it.
    Anyone encounter this issue? Thanks.

Re: exhaust hose

I had a 41c. My exhaust left the muffler, laid in 2 plywood cradles between the fuel tank and the hull. Sagged a little between the cradles, but not too much to trap water, then double clamped on the exhaust pipes going though the transom. My exhaust flanges were brass, not fiberglass.

I could lay across the steering rams, behind the aft of the fuel tank, above the rudder posts and do a visual inspection with a flash light. Now these hoses never receive hot exhaust gases unless you blow a water pump and receive exhaust only. I never had an issue, but a friend did.

He had a backfire, and the force blew the port hose off of his exhaust flange. He had an older Egg Harbor with similar exhausts. But his were at the water line, so water started pouring in immediately. Almost sunk until I jumped over and shoved shop towels in the flange. That was a 4 inch hole pouring in water.

After that I learned how to inspect with a flashlight. I do the inspection on all of my boats.

Ironically, this is the same friend I lost years later when his Egg broke up off of Hatteras. I have written about this before here, so I will not go on.

Good luck,

Hope this helps.

Tim

Hello, on my 42 the only hose is in the engine room I believe. The pipe to the transom is fiberglass. You can crawl behind the fuel tanks to look at them, one of those smart phone cameras would be useful too.

Walt Hoover

Quote Originally Posted by whoover View Post
    Hello, on my 42 the only hose is in the engine room I believe. The pipe to the transom is fiberglass. You can crawl behind the fuel tanks to look at them, one of those smart phone cameras would be useful too.

Walt Hoover
    I'll bet there's a short hose between the transom and the muffler pipe to deal with stress cracking--could be wrong.

A 50 something went down at the dock a couple of years back. They backed her down hard going in and the water pressure blew the hose at the transom. They never knew it until the list began and by then it was way too late. It's hard to check those hoses and clamps for corrosion all the way around, but it's worth the effort.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I m not familiar with the boat but i doubt th muffler is attached directly without a section of hose. Part of my repower we are uograding the exhaust to 8" and we are putting a section of nose there.

In any case, anyone with original 70s or even 80s vintage hose really should inspect them. Mines were completly collapsed.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I replaced my engines in the 41c, twice, many years ago. There was rubber hose leaving the riser through the aft engine room bulkhead, into a cigar shaped muffler, rubber hose leaving the muffler supported by 2 plywood cradles, then clamped onto the exhaust passing through the transom. They were sandwiched pretty good between the tank and boat side, but we could get hands on above the rudder posts and assy.

Around the hose going through the engine room bulkhead, there was a 2 piece aluminum fairing to support the hose, and reduced the size of the hole to create a seal which was screwed into the aft bulkhead.

When time to remove all, we removed the hose clamps from the transom exhaust, and off of the engine risers, and the aluminum fairings. A sawsall helped enlarge the pass through on the engine room bulkhead for the larger diameter muffler, and the entire assembly passed forward into the engine room. After breaking down all components, we could pass them out of the engine room hatch.

When time for the new engines, we repeated the process but in reverse, and a AC company made me new fairings to cover the larger holes we introduced.

Now my exhaust hoses were wire reinforced, so a collapse was never visible.

However, after Russ' boat almost sank after his blew off, I check mine all of the time. That includes all hoses.

Hope this helps

Tim

What Tim said. It's not easy, but it's easier from the engine room.

Thanks for all the comments. Mine are probably original 1976 so it's time to change out.
    I was just wondering how to go about it.

Don't forget changing to new hose clamps, they're 42 years old too. Make sure to get the good all SS ones.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I have a 38FBDC from 1974. Both hoses was changed in 1999. Last year I saw water dripping in the middle of one hose. Outside they looked wery good but the inside was a mess and was soon going to colapse. Im glad I choose to buy new hoses. 20 years is to long time.