Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Flybridge Enclosure Replacement

I bought my 55 convertible recently knowing the "eisenglass" enclosure was shot. The enclosure is there but has holes in it, badly stained, etc. I am trying to decide how to proceed on this. After running Lake Ponchatrain a couple weeks ago to flush my coolant I realized how much I need this on those cold rainy days. I have replaced this same type material on a pop up camper years ago. There was a place that had templates to many different campers, etc. I was able to trash my old ones and get new ones that fit perfectly for around $850. I lost the name of the company so don't know if they do boats or not. I know this price is a pipe dream in the marine world but I figure it would be cheaper to buy from someone who has the templates or could build based on my old ones vs a company than would have to come to my boat and custom make. Does anyone know of a company that has the templates? There is a local tarp company that has done some work on my catamaran eisenglass but mostly snap and zipper repair. They may be able to re-sew new vinyl into the existing canvas or reproduce but could cost me more than buying from someone who specializes in boats. That was the case on my camper. They were twice what the online place was as they didnt do this much. Also am considering taking the windshield off, doing away with the wipers, and running the enclosure down to the fiberglass. I have seen a few like this

Re: Flybridge Enclosure Replacement

Have you tried Sam’s yet. If you can’t find them in their catalog call Steve or Mike. They can direct you to someone who has or can build them good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Unless you have a factory hard top, you will not find patterns. The old curtains should serve the purpose just be sure to allow for any shrinkage. Consider using acrylic for the front panels for better clarity. And sit down when you get the price quote.

Bobk

I will check with Sams. They don't have on catalog. I'm sure the price is going to make me re-think " needing" them

If the canvass part is ok a good canvass shop can just sew new glass into the old canvass. The easiest way is to sew in the new glass and then cut out the old so the glass holds the shape. We had this done and it was not to expensive. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Find a local outfit to re-glass your current enclosure or have them copy what you have.
    Even a direct copy might not fit your hardware so don't be worried about them coming to the boat to "fit" it.
    You're going to need them for other stuff in the future so might as well start building a relationship.
    Usually I say you get what you pay for, but my experience with canvas shops is you just need to find the right one that fits the quality you're looking for along with the price. Probably best to ask around locally for references.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

7 panels on my 45 was over 8 grand. 3 on the front, 2 on each side, no stern. All had single U zips. Local guy would not use originals for patterns. Came out and made templates, and installed himself, so he could install snaps and other fasteners for a tight custom fit.

Good luck
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I bought my 55 convertible recently knowing the "eisenglass" enclosure was shot. The enclosure is there but has holes in it, badly stained, etc. I am trying to decide how to proceed on this. After running Lake Ponchatrain a couple weeks ago to flush my coolant I realized how much I need this on those cold rainy days. I have replaced this same type material on a pop up camper years ago. There was a place that had templates to many different campers, etc. I was able to trash my old ones and get new ones that fit perfectly for around $850. I lost the name of the company so don't know if they do boats or not. I know this price is a pipe dream in the marine world but I figure it would be cheaper to buy from someone who has the templates or could build based on my old ones vs a company than would have to come to my boat and custom make. Does anyone know of a company that has the templates? There is a local tarp company that has done some work on my catamaran eisenglass but mostly snap and zipper repair. They may be able to re-sew new vinyl into the existing canvas or reproduce but could cost me more than buying from someone who specializes in boats. That was the case on my camper. They were twice what the online place was as they didnt do this much. Also am considering taking the windshield off, doing away with the wipers, and running the enclosure down to the fiberglass. I have seen a few like this
    I’m sorry I miss read your post and thought you were looking for the hard panels. Any good canvas outfit can replace the eisenglass easily. It runs about 75.00 to 100.00 per panel up here. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Those are prices I can live with.

Those are prices I can live with.