Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Flybridge Enclosure Replacement

Brian, If your old enclosure fits well that's fine but remember that over the years it probably shrunk
    some so be sure to allow for shrinkage when fabricating the new enclosure. BTW while the cost of a
    sailrite sewing machine is not cheap (compared with regular home machines), it is a bargain if you
    actually get to use it. Many years ago, I bought one and have yet to use it, probably because I'm too
    lazy to learn how. If you don't count your labor, the cost of a machine AND the materials (also available
    from Sailrite) still make it worthwhile to consider. You can use the machine to make all your soft goods
    for the boat such as cushions, drapes etc.

Walt

Well you better start with soft goods if you want to try to do it there is a lot more to it than just being able to sew if you want a quality job and a nice fit. I have seen people DIY and it works but is it a Nice fit without sags, straight stitch lines etc No

I spent many hrs in a buddy's canvas shop I rebuilt a lot of my boat in that shop. I was always to busy to learn to sew because he did say he would teach me but why I had him to do it and his work was some of the best around and this winter I was going to have him do my Enclousure over since its been 16 years. Well then he gets sick and was gone 2 weeks later he passed in April so I am now wishing I learned more from him. I know a lot of the tricks and things to do but still not ready to tackle it as a DIY I am going to look this year for someone that can do it right because I did learn how to spot good work from him.
    I sure do miss him
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Dan,

I agree that there's a lot more to a good enclosure job than being able to use a sewing machine. If it
    was easy everyone would do it. Sorry for your loss of a good friend. I feel your pain. A few years ago
    I had a similar experience with a friend in the marine trades. We were supposed to get together at lunch
    and he didn't show up. He lived alone and was found dead of a heart attack in his home.

The bridge on my 1982 series 1 MY is a soft enclosure and I usually have it replaced about every 6-8
    years. I believe I am getting a good deal on it especially since I keep hearing prices that are much more
    than I generally pay. Not only is the work absolutely first rate but they stand behind their work. There
    are still a few honest hard working experts left in the marine trades. The secret is to find them.

Walt

I see me pulling the engines or doing major fiberglass work on something before I see me trying to sew enclosures lol. I did get a reply from Sams today. The do not carry the enclosures and recommend taking old ones to a canvas shop as others have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    I see me pulling the engines or doing major fiberglass work on something before I see me trying to sew enclosures lol.
    I agree 100% and I did do all that and some more. Only thing I did not do myself was canvas, cushion and the 1/2 tower. Tower I could do if I really needed to but Vinny another friend did it and also does Top notch work I can't compete with him he has been welding since he was 12 years old he could stand on his head and still do a nice bead, his dad was also a welder so he learned young .

Walter Thanks and sorry to hear about your friend sucks when they go to fast and to soon.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I own a canvas shop. I don't pattern or use " templates " for anything. I always tell people I'm like a car mechic. 1/3 materials 2/3 labor. Stuff looks nice,fits right, and I warranty stuff for a long time, specially if I like ya. If a snap falls off or zipper blows out bring it to me. Will repair it for free.
    Man don't have anyone try to pattern the stuff.
    Ya get what you pay for.
    Zak K.
    Black Hat

Zak I understand all that however I am not aware of any canvas shops that come to your boat in the New Orleans or Grand Isle area. Maybe I would have to go to them but then looking at slip rent, transportation costs, etc plus my time. As a builder I could probably close in the bridge and install HVAC cheaper than I could do all that

I don't care if it's a $4mil new hatteras, I think the canvas enclosures all look cheezey. I can't believe somebody hasn't come up with a better system. The Hurley Hatts with the windows that open up are a nice setup.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I don't care if it's a $4mil new hatteras, I think the canvas enclosures all look cheezey. I can't believe somebody hasn't come up with a better system. The Hurley Hatts with the windows that open up are a nice setup.
    Agreed..... That's why I did a hard enclosure for the aft decks on my present 48 MY and all my other
    MY's. Unfortunately I never got around to doing the bridge and now it's too late.

Walt

Brian, did you buy your boat from Rolla? if so, call him, he recommended bill's canvas in mobile for my windshield cover. he will have their number. they come to new orleans to do work. tell him bigbill told you to call him