Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salon heat pump

Re: Salon heat pump

Reading the Voltage thread by Robert currently active, could a low voltage at this unit cause it to cycle on and off every 10 seconds? The smaller units are plugging away, but I was also drawing 6000w of space heaters at the same time while running two small cruseairs on reverse? Using 50Amp 240v cord.

I have a Charles transformer for those marina's that only provide 208v. If I plugged it in between the shore power and the boat, would that make any difference?

Hold on there. The voltage will not cause frost on the lines.

Freezing is a sign of low refrigerant pressure. At the line pressure the gas temp is below freezing and that will cause the short cycling.

Power could be a second issue but this one is not caused by power issues.

Too much arm chair not enough hands on here.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

You are better off with someone who is well-versed in marine refrigeration systems. While the principles are the same as land-based systems, the hardware is not, and by the time the standard HVAC guy figures out what he is looking at, you will have more than likely paid more. You want someone who knows marine AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Chasemmc View Post
    Reading the Voltage thread by Robert currently active, could a low voltage at this unit cause it to cycle on and off every 10 seconds? The smaller units are plugging away, but I was also drawing 6000w of space heaters at the same time while running two small cruseairs on reverse? Using 50Amp 240v cord.I have a Charles transformer for those marina's that only provide 208v. If I plugged it in between the shore power and the boat, would that make any difference?
    Was reading up on voltage and Cruisair today. If I recall correctly, manual says 100/200 volts is minimum which will shut it down and display a fault code. Says a manual reset is required to resume.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

That said, digital controls get very unhappy before that and MAY work, but it does shorten their life.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Was reading up on voltage and Cruisair today. If I recall correctly, manual says 100/200 volts is minimum which will shut it down and display a fault code. Says a manual reset is required to resume.
    Theres a little red button on some units. Thats the manual reset and depending on the manufacturer for where its hidden.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Okay, anyone know a marine Ac guy in Chattanooga?

No idea who it is, but Tom Chase Marine Air populates the entire page when you google it......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

It is not a big deal to get your 608 license. That will allow you to buy Refrigerant, and a set of guages is cheap. Checking pressures and charging the system is easily a DIY job. Changing out triacs is another common DIY job. +1 on the unit being low on R22, 417 or whatever you have. You can borrow vaccum pumps from AutoZone....SOME Cruiseair folks will sell to you directly if you are licensed.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    It is not a big deal to get your 608 license. That will allow you to buy Refrigerant, and a set of guages is cheap. Checking pressures and charging the system is easily a DIY job. Changing out triacs is another common DIY job. +1 on the unit being low on R22, 417 or whatever you have. You can borrow vaccum pumps from AutoZone....SOME Cruiseair folks will sell to you directly if you are licensed.
    Getting the license to buy is not difficult however one EPA requirement is you have a recovery unit. That is unless it’s changed since I got my licenses back in the 90’s. No one really checks it but it could happen. O P may not have R-22 system if they were replaced recently so that’s good news He needs to check the tags on units to see which refrigerant is needed