Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Salon heat pump

Salon heat pump

'81 56' my. Turned to heat reverse cycle and compressor cycles on and then turns off in about 6-7 seconds. Coil on top has frost on it. Other units pushing out 90 degrees. Air temp outside 37. Any ideas?

Re: Salon heat pump

Low Freon
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Is this something I can recharge with a little tutorial education, or do I need a service pro?

If you don't already have gauges and know how to use them, call a pro.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

If your equipment is original you most likely have R-22. The price for a drum of it will run you close to a grand so even if you were learn how time as you buy gauges and refrigerant it would be cheaper to pay someone. Our local vo-tech offers night classes in HVACR. If you are a do it yourself type and anticipate a lot of issues in the future some formal training would be worth your time.

Noodling around found a prior string posted by Krush in 2007 with an overview of the cruiseair systems and service discussion. Unfortunately, none of the links work anymore. Do you know what the current addresses are?

You need to find the leak if possible. R22 is too expensive to just keep refilling.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

All depending on the general remaining life expectancy (from long to short)

1: Fix leak, recharge.
    2: Use fix-a-flat..and find someone to add some R-22 or see below.. Specifically Nu-Calgon Easy Seal. Fixed a leak in my 36 y/o residential system 5 years ago.... still humming.
    3: Rip it out and get a nice new efficient unit.

As far as "Fix leak, recharge"..... You have to be licensed and equipped to evacuate and store the R-22, fix the leak, and recharge the unit, plus a little extra for what you probably lost. You're talking $$ here which will quickly take you to option 2 or 3. Now, if you're really handy there are a LOT of Youtube videos on the subject, the equipment is available on Amazon and yes there is even a (Hey, pssst, over here man) market for R-22.......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The Cruiseair units were replaced about 6 years ago by the PO. No receipts of course.......
    But they are white instead of green/blue units.

May as well have the other 4 units serviced at the same time. Some work great and some not so hot.

The units are really easy to get to on a 56 if you don't mind kneeling.

Is this something any AC guy can do or do I need a special marine guy?

The AC part is the same for all but the water pumps, triggers and controls are not something the home HVAC guy will be familiar with nor will he have any idea where to get some parts.

Stick with a marine guy.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.