Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First large fiberglass boats

Just received a copy of MarineMax Lifestyles magazine (spring 2018 edition) Naturally it is mostly
    about boats that they sell but with the winter doldrums here in NJ it helps with the boredom to read
    just about anything with boat pictures in it.

On page 46 there is a picture of a 1978 50' Ocean Alexander. In my opinion it is a very good looking
    boat. The text claims that up to that point no yacht of that size had been made of fiberglass. This is
    a good example of "fake news". Kind of makes one think that most articles etc are written by idiots
    who really have no business being in their field.

I checked Yachtworld to see if there were any listed for sale and was surprised that not only were there
    a few but the prices were substantial, more than an equivalent Hatteras. Am I missing something, these
    boats were made in Taiwan and obviously have a following.

Walt

Re: First large fiberglass boats

Fake news, stupid salesman.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Just received a copy of MarineMax Lifestyles magazine (spring 2018 edition) Naturally it is mostly
    about boats that they sell but with the winter doldrums here in NJ it helps with the boredom to read
    just about anything with boat pictures in it.

On page 46 there is a picture of a 1978 50' Ocean Alexander. In my opinion it is a very good looking
    boat. The text claims that up to that point no yacht of that size had been made of fiberglass. This is
    a good example of "fake news". Kind of makes one think that most articles etc are written by idiots
    who really have no business being in their field.

I checked Yachtworld to see if there were any listed for sale and was surprised that not only were there
    a few but the prices were substantial, more than an equivalent Hatteras. Am I missing something, these
    boats were made in Taiwan and obviously have a following.

Walt
    They are nice indeed. If marketed as trawlers, they usually bring more than motor yachts.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by bobk View Post
    They are nice indeed. If marketed as trawlers, they usually bring more than motor yachts.

Bobk
    I notice that most are on the west coast. That design (early models) is really nice...it was designed
    by Ed Monk, Jr. It really baffles me that a boat that has small engines, in this case Ford Leamans
    would cost so much, especially since they were relatively cheap when new. I can understand it with
    the Hatteras LRC's because they were probably built even better than the Hatteras MY's.

Walt

They ve been around for a while but I m always a little concerned about older Taiwan boats. Quality was never anywhere near hatteras. Leaky tanks, leaky decks, poor systems

Lately (last 15/20 years) quality has improved always I don't think the stainless is still as good

OA makes some nice large MYs these days, close if not over 100'
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

From what I see I think their high prices are due to the cost of their newer boats that people think are very good quality. On the West Coast OE has always sold for more than Hatts for whatever reason. Some brands just have people fooled, kind of like “J” boats in the Sailing world, not built real well but cost a fortune do to very clever and successful marketing. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Well, the 50 Ocean Alexander is 13 years newer than my 50 Hatteras. Maybe that justifies the premium.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    Well, the 50 Ocean Alexander is 13 years newer than my 50 Hatteras. Maybe that justifies the premium.
    Maybe its because your boat doesn't exist. OE was the first to build a fiberglass boat of that size.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    I notice that most are on the west coast. That design (early models) is really nice...it was designed
    by Ed Monk, Jr. It really baffles me that a boat that has small engines, in this case Ford Leamans
    would cost so much, especially since they were relatively cheap when new. I can understand it with
    the Hatteras LRC's because they were probably built even better than the Hatteras MY's.

Walt
    Walt, those Ford Lehmans (120 & 135 hp) were great engines. They would have been my first choice for my 48' Series I. Ten or fifteen years ago, the lore was that only one was known to have worn out and that was in commercial use on a ferry at 20,000 hours. That said, many of the Lehmans were bolted up to problematic Velvet Drives and they had some issues with marinization hardware, but the latter were cheap and DIY repairs.

Bobk

Bob, I'm familiar with the Ford Lehmans, they had a large facility on Elizabeth Ave, in Linden, NJ years
    ago. Everything I ever heard about them was good but my point was that they were significantly cheaper
    than any engines that Hatteras used and yet many years later they seem to be gold.

Walt