Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Carolina Classic "Built by Hatteras"

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Last time I checked, a rebuild for a 3208 was about 11 grand, if you brought it in to T&S Marine in Crisfield. That was a year or two ago, so more now, I think. But they are still a good deal as they will run for a very long time between rebuilds. I think that was for the 355 or 375 versions.
    When I had the fleet of GMC TopKicks with the 3208's we were buying rebuilt long blocks with the tins for $3500 exchange. It is a pretty common engine and a lot of options if one craps the bed
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The broker confirmed 3208s. They are "newer" and "ran fine last year on the way to the yard" but doesn't know the hours or maintenance history on them or the gen.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
    The broker confirmed 3208s. They are "newer" and "ran fine last year on the way to the yard" but doesn't know the hours or maintenance history on them or the gen.
    Well it aint no carolins classic. That name belongs to albermal... Go look it depends on what you are looking for a work along with swet equety. You got a lot of unknowns go get your self a moisture meter and learn how to use it.
    If she is good and solid with no rot. Go for it but 10 dollars says there is rot somewhere. To put that boat in fishing shape where where you are not scared to leave the dock. 30 to 40 grand.

Yea I guess it's stupid to try and go after this. Even at $10-15k to get it, It's not like something rare and expensive so there wouldn't be much sweat equity.

Yea I guess it's stupid to try and go after this. Even at $10-15k to get it, It's not like something rare and expensive so there wouldn't be much sweat equity.
    like the song goes save your nickles and dines to buy me a 409 something you will be proud of...up scale it to your taste. You are way ahead to purchase one with some work done...

If you are good with your hands ..

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    If you are good with your hands ..
    I wouldn't have even considered this if I wasn't.

I wouldn't have even considered this if I wasn't.
    Even if you buy a boat in PERFECT condition, you still are going to have tons of work to catch up on maintenance and get it the way you want it. It's fine to buy an old boat that needs some love, but at least buy one that is running and you can hop in and use from the get go.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I agree. It's just frustrating because I think it's a good size and set up for me and my family. I want an open express type boat, but my wife wants a boat we can cruise on and over night. I felt this boat was small enough to ride the pilings of the CBBT for Cobia, yet big enough to go as far as The Canyon and still allow us to over night every now and again.

Yes, there are other 30-35 ft convertibles for sale in my area, but most of them have 1 thing or another that turn me off.

Look at the original 41 foot convertibles too (1960's to 1972ish?). Fuel burn is about the same as a 36, but much more usable space. Repair costs will be the same.

I thought long and hard between the 34/36 and the 41. After spending time on both, it was easy choice. The 41 wouldn't cost any (most of my costs are yearly fixed costs).
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

They built nearly 200 Series I 36 convertibles. Keep your eyes open, there will be one out there. Speaking as an owner, they are a lovely boat, and well suited to the Bay.