Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Carolina Classic "Built by Hatteras"

Krush is generous at ten grand. But it isn't a lost cause. You just have to get it cheaply enough. And, yes, this is a Series I 36C- lovely boats, but I own one, so I am not neutral on this.

Thanks for the insight. I now have a direction to go. I'll let yall know if anything becomes of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
    I looked at the Series 1, but no vents in the hull mid-ship and no window in the berth. It may be the same mold with those taken away to give it a cleaner look?

Do y' all really think this is a lost cause? It has a lot going for it (and yes, even more going against it) but for the right price....

One would think the Cats in running condition wold be worth that!

The underlying thinking of members on what the condition of a Hatteras they own should be, does not get discussed as comments are offered. I admit I am a perfectionist, thinking much in the same mind set as an classic car owner. A member that focuses on functionality, and considers the boat a tool to go fishing likely has a different criteria. Boats with beautiful paint jobs handle no better than peeling paint. Engines do not perform better externally rust free.

I believe the thinking of the majority of HOF members tend to be on the "classic car" side of the scale, so keep that in mind as you consider the feedback.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The underlying thinking of members on what the condition of a Hatteras they own should be, does not get discussed as comments are offered. I admit I am a perfectionist, thinking much in the same mind set as an classic car owner. A member that focuses on functionality, and considers the boat a tool to go fishing likely has a different criteria. Boats with beautiful paint jobs handle no better than peeling paint. Engines do not perform better externally rust free.

I believe the thinking of the majority of HOF members tend to be on the "classic car" side of the scale, so keep that in mind as you consider the feedback.

Pete
    That may be true for the MY guys but most of us convertible guys run the boats hard and put them up wet. That's what Slane built these boats to do. One of Hatts early ads was "You can paint for appearance but not for protection"
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Oh, some of us convertible guys detail the boats WAY too much.....lol

Completely remanned 3208s are available for about 12 grand each, I think. I can't tell what's in that boat. I know some had 3160s and 3208s as OEM. Slow but reliable. 12K would get you an engine that has been completely stripped and everything done to it, looking new and ready to go in the boat.

$12k for good rebuilds, ready to go? Seems awfully low. Heck, 4 stroke outboards used cost more! It's Sunday so I don't expect to hear from the broker today, but hopefully I'll see what mains are in it soon.

Sounds very low. I had checked with my local Cat guy before I ordered the reman Cummins and he said nothing would come close in price and quality
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDawg86 View Post
    $12k for good rebuilds, ready to go? Seems awfully low. Heck, 4 stroke outboards used cost more! It's Sunday so I don't expect to hear from the broker today, but hopefully I'll see what mains are in it soon.
    It’s an inexpensive motor to rebuild. No liners, simple valve train, stamp steel oil pan and heat exchanger. Can’t tell for sure but some of the piping on the rear looks like a turbo charged 3208. They put enough fuel filters on it for a 1000 hp engine. That boat looks about 1/2 finished with that paneling in the salon. I’d be very careful about buying that vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Sounds very low. I had checked with my local Cat guy before I ordered the reman Cummins and he said nothing would come close in price and quality
    Last time I checked, a rebuild for a 3208 was about 11 grand, if you brought it in to T&S Marine in Crisfield. That was a year or two ago, so more now, I think. But they are still a good deal as they will run for a very long time between rebuilds. I think that was for the 355 or 375 versions.

If I decide to go after it, it will have been gone through thoroughly by me then by someone a lot smarter than I am haha.