Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Re: 1980 58’ Hatteras MY

Holy smokes...The Mutiny...that's a throwback. Between nights at The Mutiny and the Gingerman Band at Monty's at the Mayfair...

Wow. That was a rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I’m shopping for another boat and banked the insurance proceeds which are earmarked for another boat ONLY. A few things are working against me. First, my marina has done zippo to even begin repairing the marina, so if a boat miraculously landed in my lap tomorrow, I have nowhere to put it. The marina continues to tell me, “two years out” before the place will be repaired. My slip still has no usable finger pier, spotty power only one one cord - the other is ripped out, and no pump out. I think it may have water by now. Cable/internet is gone to my knowledge. Much of the marina itself is without power to the slips. So much of Miami’s dockage was wiped out by Hurricane Irma that most places are STILL rebuilding and there is simply nowhere to go. With no pump out, you can imagine how nasty the water is here. Lobsters must be happy since we’re not hunting them anymore.

Second, I’m looking for a newer (maybe in the 10-15 year old range) trawler, such as a Kadey Krogen, Nordhavn, or Nordic Tug - preferable one engine with possibly a wing (get cha home) engine in the 40-foot range. Hatteras hasn’t made anything trawler-ish and that small in decades. (Think: Long Range Cruiser). Most of what’s out there is located in Anacortes, WA. I really like the Kadey Krogen 39.

For now, I bought a condo across the street from the marina at The Mutiny Hotel. I am renovating it and will live here until I find another boat. Once I find a boat, I want to rent the condo seasonally to a snowbird (during the high months - winter) and use it myself when it’s brutally hot in the summer in Miami. This way, if we get another hurricane that wipes out the marina again, at least I won’t be homeless in the several weeks afterward; rather, my condo just won’t be for tent that upcoming winter.

This place is pretty nice. I had been eyeing this building for several years as an investment property, and Irma pushed my hand. Lots of history here. A book has been written about the place and they are making a movie too. It was the Cocaine Cowboys headquarters back in the 80s. I love this place, but I prefer to be living back on the boat across the street at Dinner Key Marina.
    Angela....When you have a moment, check out the 40' Pilgrim tug.There were 48 boats made by New Castle Marine in Canada. 24 without bridges and 24 with. The years of manufacture were around 1978 - 1983. Prices around 140,000 to 225,000. They hold their value and think the best looking tug out there.

Ang, have you looked at Monk 36s? Would that be big enough?

Ang,
    I'm boat sitting a sweet little 36 Nordic tug here in Ft Lauderdale. Owned by a single woman who will be listing it in the fall when she returns from up north later in fall. Let me know if you would like to see it.

Not to derail this thread, and not to give any credence to the new owner and his underhanded marketing tactics, but I do have a question. Why is it that the port engine and trans are suspect after having salt water around them? I understand that it is corrosive and the pan and/or case may start to rust, but other than that, why would it shorten the life? Did water get inside the transmission or engine? Or just around it?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Same question came to my mind as well, but I was too busy enjoying the drama.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Not to derail this thread, and not to give any credence to the new owner and his underhanded marketing tactics, but I do have a question. Why is it that the port engine and trans are suspect after having salt water around them? I understand that it is corrosive and the pan and/or case may start to rust, but other than that, why would it shorten the life? Did water get inside the transmission or engine? Or just around it?
    They sat in salt water for about 3 months. On the tranny, the water was up to just under the shaft, but the lower portion of the coupling sat in salt water, including the seals, bolts, etc. Assuming the new guy pumped out the water when he bought her (nobody else did before that and I could not do it because I had no power and the yard would not let “me” work on the boat in their yard), the salt residue is there. I hope he has since washed all that really well and then repainted it. If not, then it will just continue to corrode. It’s a really, really tough spot to access to work on. I do not know whether the seal was compromised. The insurance company did not want to spend the money digging into it and that’s were it all ended. That’s why I say they are suspect.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

What yard was that? Cay? You should post the name so we all avoid them. I have never ever seen a yard that tried stop the owner or captain to do something on their boat. Neither Glastech, Norseman or grove harbor which are all full service yards have ever stopped me from doing some work, especially if it is damage mitigation like pumping water out of the bilge.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Yes, Pascal, it was. I had no power and no way to get power. The yard would not pump out the water claiming they hadn’t been paid anything yet and the “storage” fee was mounting. What a crock of crap. I was insured by BoatUS/GEICO - they KNEW they would get paid. We asked over and over and over for them to pump the water not, but they never would. At the end, the yard charged my insurance company $25/day for power for 4 months on top of storage at something like $3/foot/day. The boat never had power for even a day. It was towed away from there to be placed up for auction. The pumping of the water, however, showed up on the bill to GEICO, but the water was never pumped out. I told my insurance company the truth and they ended up negotiating the yard bill to some extent. The yard even charged me 2 man hours for one guy for one hour, ten minutes, to help me move my things off the boat on the last day I was there. The yard would not let me bring my own help (friends) and insisted I use their labor and pay the yard rate for that labor. My insurance company reimbursed me for that. The yard also charged my insurance company $600+ in labor for moving my stuff off, after I had paid $280. The insurance company disputed that at my direction. Suffice it to say that while that yard does great work, I simply do not trust them anymore after seeing how they tried to take adavantage of my insurance company and me after the boat was totaled.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Didnt you get a sticker shock $20k invoice from them a few years back?

I got ticked off at hurricane cove during the repower when they charged me $100 for an hour of forklift to lift batteries on board Which didnt take more than 3 minutes since i already had them ready on a pallet. They didnt argue and removed the charge right away.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat