Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

1980 58’ Hatteras MY

As some of you may know, Sanctuary was damaged during Hurricane Imra. The damage is mostly to her port side, as well as the loss of the swim platform and the port spray rail. Salt spray inundated the engine rooms, though her engines were not submerged. She took on some water from an unknown source, but the pumps did their job and the floors on the lower level were not compromised. Water did come in contact with the bottom of the port transmission, the water line is about 1/2 way up the shaft/coupler, and possibly the bottom of the port engine oil pan while she was heeled over in the wind. She did not sink and was not holed. Water got into some of the bilge areas through a hose that was pushed off of a sea chest in the port engine room when the hull at that spot flexed when it came in contact with a piling. The hull side at that point of contact is abraded down to fiberglass, but not holed....she beat the finger pier before it beat her. Hatteras vs marina, again the Hatt wins.

We took the boat to the yard for repair. After our insurance company assessed the repair bill in conjunction with our policy limits, they decided to consider her a “constructive total loss”. Yes, the yard’s repair bill was quite high. That yard is high end and does some of the most awesome work I’ve ever seen. They are proud of their work and "the" yard I would want to bring her back.

This Hatteras can be repaired for a lot less, especially by someone who can do some fiberglass and paint work, but I do not have the time nor the facility to do that. This is not a weekend job, and I would only have weekends to work on it. GEICO (BoatUS) has offered me first refusal for the salvage and placed a $40,000 salvage value on her which I’m sure is negotiable as there is a line in the paperwork that is labeled "your offer". There is a lot of salvage value in the boat for someone who has the time to make the repairs or supervise the repairs by subcontractors. We looked at her HARD after the storm, and even hired an independent surveyor to have a look at her. We found NO broken tabbing and no damage below the waterline, nothing that leaves us in doubt of her structural integrity. For those that don't know the history of updates we've put into this boat, all heads have been replaced with Vacu-Flush systems. The AC system has been updated to self-contained units for all but the salon area, the galley has been completely remodeled with modern appliances (although the fridge died an early death before the storm).

I wanted to put this out here in case there is any HOF’er who would be interested in taking on this project. I do have extensive photos and can go into more detail about what we've found, but frankly don't have time to post pictures and answer a lot of questions just for entertainment value. If you truly have genuine interest in saving this boat (or know someone that does), I will share everything I have and make myself available to answer further questions. If I had the free time, I would buy her back, take care of the high margin stuff myself and have an incredible boat for a damn good deal.

If interested, let me know and I can put you in touch with the adjuster. I understand GEICO will be moving the boat by the end of January, but I do not know where they will take her to put her on consignment.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: 1980 58’ Hatteras MY

Knowing the pride and bond you have with Sanctuary this news is just gut wrenching! So sorry to hear this.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I was wondering what happened to you. I had not seen your posts for a while. So sorry to hear this devastating news. Best of luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I am working hard to get to the point where I would be able to jump on this. Unfortunately I am not quite there yet. I am sorry I can't help give this story a happy ending. I hope she finds the TLC she deserves.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I was wondering what happened to you. I had not seen your posts for a while. So sorry to hear this devastating news. Best of luck.
    Ditto here. Take care and please keep in touch.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

It is sad that an insurance company can dismiss a robust Craft that could be repaired.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I am sorry to hear the news but i guess it s for the best since you were going to downsize anyway

I know Sanctuary pretty well and i have seen the minor damage she received during the storm. I went aboard right before she was towed to check on the bilges. If anyone is looking for a classic hatteras motoryacht, this is an opportunity not to miss. The damage is minimal and can easily be repaired for a fraction on the cost. My 53 is just down the river from Sanctuary both for the repower and hurricane damage repair. I have seen the work performed at the yard (angela, you ve seen the repaint on Midnight Blue) and they do incredible work at very reasonable rates. Yes, its all subcontractors but there is a core of really good guys working there and they are essy to deal with.

Again, this is one nicely maintained and upgraded classic hatt which needs a lot less work than implied by the constructive loss label
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    It is sad that an insurance company can dismiss a robust Craft that could be repaired.
    This has been a huge issue down here... adjusters are totaling boats which could be repaired. They dont care... they ll make uo the losses with increased premiums. We are paying for this waste.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

If the boat was totaled because the repair cost was too high but it can be repaired for much less by really good yards in the area I think we have a questionable situation and the insurance company is taking it in the shorts.

That being said I'm not party to the whole story but it does not make sense.

If shes repairable but being totaled because of overpriced quotes that are not realistic someone is playing games. If shes repairable at below the replacement cost theres no reason to total her.

So I have to ask.

Whats she worth repaired?

Whats the cost of repairing it with the reasonable yards in the area?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    That being said I'm not party to the whole story but it does not make sense.

If shes repairable but being totaled because of overpriced quotes that are not realistic someone is playing games. If shes repairable at below the replacement cost theres no reason to total her.

It makes complete sense. The boat will need a full paintjob. What is that at, at least 50-70k? The glass work, at retail yard prices is probably 40k. All the other stuff. Insurance companies don't have to reach full insured value in repairs before they cut the loss and total it. The actuaries do this for a living.

I've hit a deer in and old car and had it totaled by the insurance company, and bought it back. The insurance company totaled it because the appraiser took into account everything that bambie damaged. I only repaired the absolute necessary for safe operation (I banged the hood straight and used walmart red spray paint...the new fender is still black, not red like the rest of the car). LOL
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381