Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Re: 1980 58’ Hatteras MY

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee...580007673.html

I think this guy is going to make a couple of bucks on this one. Good for him and I'm happy to see her repaired.
    Ad was pulled from Craigslist.

"This posting has been flagged for removal."
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Too funny! I guess I had better call before it gets removed again!
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

I didn't see the first posting. Did he remove any pictures? Or of the transom and boat name?

This now shows under, "for sale by dealer". Did anybody notice how the original ad was listed?

Just curious.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Rich60175 View Post
    I didn't see the first posting. Did he remove any pictures? Or of the transom and boat name?
    Same photos. Would have expected an edit of the transom shot with the boat name. This guy isn't very smart.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Well, that was an interesting conversation.

Ang, I hate to tell you, but you got robbed. Those "boatyard bozos" just blew a bunch of smoke up your skirt and scared you so badly with a quote that you sold this guy your boat. It hasn't been touched, but it's going to his buddy's boatyard in the next week or so for a, "scuff and spray", to repair the "negligible damage' that "will be about a $5K repair". I forgot to ask if that repair would be included in the price.

Apparently you didn't secure your boat properly, and the "ass end" swung loose and "scratched about a 15' section". There was "no structural damage" and "no water damage", but it's obvious you took very good care of the boat... short of not tying it up right. He said he would check to see if it was okay to give me your number so I could ask questions, seeing as how he hasn't owned it very long. Yes, I asked if it would be possible to speak with you. He did mention being in the used car business where he also dealt with boats. It's a shame you "couldn't make up your mind what you wanted to do" with the boat and just decided to sell it when all it would have taken was $5K to get it fixed.

No, I didn't record the call, but I did make notes. With that, I guess it's the word of a used car salesman against that of a dumb old safe salesman... who just happens to know you and your boat quite well. It was a 17 minute sales pitch which I thanked him for. I rather doubt that my local friends will get a chance to stop by his rich buddy's house where the boat is currently docked. With that, a drive by wouldn't be possible.

Oh yeah, I prefaced the conversation by asking if he is a broker or the owner, given the ad stated it was for sale by dealer. At least he gave me the straight story that he had only owned the boat for a short period, but eBay never came up. He indicated he dealt directly with Ang on this purchase. He commented that, for some reason, people kept flagging his other post and getting it removed. Maybe now I can pull that fork out of my leg that kept me from laughing.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Yeah, sure....he dealt directly with me on his purchase. Talk about mincing words. He dealt directly with me after he bought it from GEICO, so I guess one can construe that as “having dealt ‘directly’ with me”. And the title did pass directly from Sanctuary Holdings, LLC to him (GEICO doesn’t retitle before auctioning the salvage). But his dealings with me about things like, “How do I start the engines?” “How do I turn the power on?” “How does the windlass work?” “How does the fuel manifold work”? Does this work, does that work, etc.

Well, sadly, whosever interest he garners from the CL ad will be in for a complete waste of time at that price unless he fixes it right. He’s going to have a hard time equating “scuff and buff” with spray rails ripped out, swim platform ripped off, disjoined cabinetry (from the twisting), and windows popped out. It took me a while to find the salon window damage. I bethe hasn’t seen it yet. The inside teak of the exterior side wall behind the sofa is broken into two pieces. No water damage - the salon floors are buckled from blown in water, but I suppose if ou slap some cheap carpet over it, a buyer will never see that. Just wait another six months or so when the salt intrusion into the port Allison seals rears its ugly head. I can’t imagine the rust that is going to set if (or probably already has) on that port engine that came in contact with the salt water that came in when a piling pushed a hose off the seachest in the port ER. These were all issues that led to GEICO’s decision. Might look pretty initially, but for someone like me who knows that boat so well, I know exactly where to investigate, and I did. There was seaweed in the storage area under the outboard twin stateroom bunk where I kept my sewing machines. And then there is the brown “soup” that poured down the master and guest shower and head walls on the lower level. I can’t believe anyone would think that is just $5,000 worth of repairs, even if it’s bondo and Sears house paint.

Sure, it can be repaired for a lot less than a full-service yard would do it, but somebody’s got to want to invest that time, money, and sweat into it. It’s not a weekend job at the marina slip.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

So none of us here bought the boat but we're assaulting the guy who did. I know many of us wished we were in a position to make a play for it, knowing whos boat it was and how it was cared for. Ask and get are always two different things. We all know that. I am sure anyone buying the boat will do there research here so why bash the guy. A purchase of that size will obviously require a survey and after that who knows what he will get for the boat. But he took the risk and he will or will not reap the benifits, but i am sure if he gets even 40% of the asking price in an as in condition, he did well and so will the next owner

ART
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLE View Post
    So none of us here bought the boat but we're assaulting the guy who did. I know many of us wished we were in a position to make a play for it, knowing whos boat it was and how it was cared for. Ask and get are always two different things. We all know that. I am sure anyone buying the boat will do there research here so why bash the guy. A purchase of that size will obviously require a survey and after that who knows what he will get for the boat. But he took the risk and he will or will not reap the benifits, but i am sure if he gets even 40% of the asking price in an as in condition, he did well and so will the next owner

ART
    You're missing the point.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93