Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Re: 1980 58’ Hatteras MY

Quote Originally Posted by kaptain63 View Post
    Thanks for adding the link. I thinking when they try to get insurance for it, it might come up as a total loss. I think the only insurance company that you be able to get insurance from is Boat US/GEICO.
    At lease that's what I have found for a boat over 50 long and over 30 years old. I was at a boat show asking about insurance, that's I was told.
    Boat US/GEICO knows this boat all too well now.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Wow, what a crock this has turned into! Ang put a lot of time into helping this guy because she thought he was going to bring her back to enjoy for himself as he had told her.

I didn't spend time on the phone with him but did provide a lot of tips about how she runs and how to get the engines to "start in 2 seconds" as he states in his ad.

Im not sure the boat is even in Ft. Meyers yet. He left Miami on Tuesday thinking he was going to run outside and make Stuart (note, I told him with all of the hull to deck joint damage I would not run her outside before repairs).
    He triggered a "missing boater" alert with USCG Sector Miami Tuesday night because he only made it to Ft. Lauderdale, but apparently didn't inform the person waiting for him in Stuart. Since the weather had turned snotty, Ang had texted
    him to see how far he had gotten. He told her he had dropped his phone in the water and had to get another one, and dinged a prop coming into the marina, but hadn't run offshore. I'm not sure how he knows how she'll "crush 6 footers", as his ad says, yet.

She also, as many of you know, doesn't carry 1100 gallons of fuel, nor is she a "wide body" as the ad states.

The photos in his ad also show a great deal of deceptiveness. Each photo is taken at an angle that doesn't show any of the damage. Of the few that show any, it's not easy to make out due to the angles and lighting. Ang ended up doing some research on the guy and found that he is apparently a used car salesman with a bit of a "reputation" with both customers and the BBB, which doesn't surprise me a this point.

I guess we'll follow the story and see where she goes. If any of you would care to call on the ad and inquire, we'd be happy to know what you find out.

Also, this being a tight community, if we happen to run into anyone in the future looking at her, we are
    willing to sell a copy of the post-hurricane survey we had done for ourselves, and share some of our damage photos.

We really had hoped to see Sanctuary go to a "good home", and perhaps she'll still find her way to one, but if someone buys the boat with only cursory cosmetic repairs to cover up the hurricane damage, she's more likely to turn into someone's boating nightmare.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

I don't know who said that BoatUS is the only insurer of older boats. That's just not true. My 1985 is with United Marine Underwriters. My friend has his 1978 60C with Pioneer State. I know others with Auto Owners.

It pays to have a good independent agent who reps for a bunch of companies. They will find a way to get it insured and at the best price and coverage.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    You should call and ask whether the boat has any storm damage, repaired or unrepaired...that’s a commonly asked question for boats for sale in Florida, in particular. I wonder what the answer would be.
    I was waiting to see if you or Ed wanted to play with him first, but I'll give him a call and see what kind of "story" I get. You should post your own Craigslist ad in Fort Myers with the "after" pics and complete description. When you get calls, tell them you sold the boat to a guy from Fort Myers and just happen to have his phone number.

Unlike his, your ad would be totally legit without a single lie.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I don't know who said that BoatUS is the only insurer of older boats. That's just not true. My 1985 is with United Marine Underwriters. My friend has his 1978 60C with Pioneer State. I know others with Auto Owners.

It pays to have a good independent agent who reps for a bunch of companies. They will find a way to get it insured and at the best price and coverage.
    I have mine insured with State Farm.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

These are the kinds of photos not shown in the ad. Very deceiving, to say the least. No way is that boat worth $225,000 unrepaired. And if he intends to repair it and then sell, he shouldn’t be advertising her for sale now. GEICO valued the salvage at $40,000 and that was before any of us knew about the entire port side windows being “popped out” and the corresponding interior teak wall along the port side under the windows being busted. There is disjoined cabinetry in the master stateroom from all the torquing she went through. Autopilot pump was submerged in salt water. And the bottom of the port Allison that sat in salt water for about 6 weeks. How much is that going to cost to pull apart and clean/repair the seals? Hopefully, anyone who shows interest in the CL ad will find his/her way here. I have a feeling that boat is going to see a bunch of bondo and lipstick since it is clear to me now that he bought her purely to flip.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Thought you folks might find this interesting. I posted a little heads up on another boating forum (THT) and a guy just posted this...

I emailed him asking about the prior damage and what repairs were done. This is the response I got:

“Hi, obviously you know the boat and how it was taken care of, if in fact you are interested call me, I don’t have time to waste emailing people back and forth, unless you are in the jungle on a mission trip, you have a phone”

Can you say, douchebag, boys and girls?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Thought you folks might find this interesting. I posted a little heads up on another boating forum (THT) and a guy just posted this...

I emailed him asking about the prior damage and what repairs were done. This is the response I got:

“Hi, obviously you know the boat and how it was taken care of, if in fact you are interested call me, I don’t have time to waste emailing people back and forth, unless you are in the jungle on a mission trip, you have a phone”

Can you say, douchebag, boys and girls?
    Dude could be a douchebag, but not for replying like that.

I think the elephant in the room here is that he hasn't been forthcoming about the boat's history.

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    I think the elephant in the room here is that he hasn't been forthcoming about the boat's history.
    Its all speculation. He hasn't misrepresented it to anyone so far AFAIK. Call him and see what he says. If repairs have not been made its gonna be almost impossible for a potential buyer not to figure out that there is storm damage.

We all love Ang and hate to see what happened to Sanctuary, but you're all piling on this guy with little to no information here.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI