Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Re: 1980 58’ Hatteras MY

Quote Originally Posted by David58my View Post
    I am the owner of the 58 my formally named sanctuary, I am sorry I didn't call each and every one of you for your blessings and guidance, however, I have fully disclosed what happened to the boat to everyone, it is being repaired by the best guys in the business who build multi million dollar boats under the supervision of the best marine surveyor around just to take away any assumptions by the seniors, Angela was very helpful in making me aware of how some of the systems operate and knowledge of the boat, which was very much appreciated. The boat was driven back to ft myers using only 170 gallons of fuel,without a single glitch, except for a prop touch in hollywood and did no damage to the prop, if any of you are more qualified than the guys that are fixing it I welcome your guidance and are welcome to come and supervise, thank you for the speculation and accusations, that's the problem with America today, too many supervisors and nobody working
    No sir, you are the problem with America today where ethics and integrity mean nothing when it comes to making a quick buck at someone else's expense. Posting here was a big mistake if your plan is to play hide and seek, and any shot you had at plausible deniability just went out the window. Sad... pitiful actually.

That being said, if you do in fact repair/refurbish this boat for anywhere near the $5K figure you tossed out, please give us the name of those responsible. I'm sure many here will utilize their services and even mention your name. Hopefully your next posts will serve to document your progress as we love seeing these old girls resurrected.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Well, the listing is back up, and a little better, with some caveats.

Our photos are gone. There are still no photos that show any of the damage.

The plaigerized text is still there, funny though how the "author" couldn't even edit the name "Sanctuary" out correctly.

There's a damage disclosure there now, but it's still disingenuous: "We suspect because it was not insured to value the insurance company decided to call it a “ constructive total loss”. Previous owner said: “After our insurance company assessed the repair bill in conjunction with our policy limits, they decided to consider her a constructive total loss”.

Angela did share that with the buyer, but the "We suspect" regarding what she was insured for isn't a statement of fact, so until there is information available to prove or dis-prove the statement, I guess he's free to make it. Ang and I discussed it and decided there was no harm in disclosing what she was insured for, which was $250,000. His "suspicion" that she was under-insured is wrong.

Also, while it's true no tabbing was found broken, the port side hull flexed so bad that the windows were popping out (but somehow didn't break!) and the inside wall split (that original, THICK Hatteras Ply). I don't know what that level of flexing against a piling would do to the glass, we didn't get that far before the decision was made to total her.

I normally wouldn't pay this much attention, but I feel that the owner and broker are going to stretch as far as they can and disclose as little as possible. I hate to see that happen to a future Hatt family member.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

I like and agree with Freebird’s response. Seems to be just another liar looking to screw somebody. Wish he would name the yard. If I were a yard I would have this guy on a very short leash and would want nothing to do with the likely desire for half ass repairs and coverups. This situation is a lawsuit waiting to happen for any involved.

Certainly doesn’t reflect well on this Pier One outfit either. I know Scott said he spoke to someone, but if I were the owner of this outfit I would want to know about one of my employees unethical behavior. Perhaps a call to this outfit is in order. I appreciate Ed not wanting to get the broker in trouble if he was unknowing if the situation, but that seems impossible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by David58my View Post
    I am the owner of the 58 my formally named sanctuary, I am sorry I didn't call each and every one of you for your blessings and guidance, however, I have fully disclosed what happened to the boat to everyone, it is being repaired by the best guys in the business who build multi million dollar boats under the supervision of the best marine surveyor around just to take away any assumptions by the seniors, Angela was very helpful in making me aware of how some of the systems operate and knowledge of the boat, which was very much appreciated. The boat was driven back to ft myers using only 170 gallons of fuel,without a single glitch, except for a prop touch in hollywood and did no damage to the prop, if any of you are more qualified than the guys that are fixing it I welcome your guidance and are welcome to come and supervise, thank you for the speculation and accusations, that's the problem with America today, too many supervisors and nobody working
    Welcome aboard. How courageous of you to show up here after we busted you at your shabby little game, trying to pretend that the damage to Sanctuary was minimal and cosmetic. If you thought she was in such fine shape, you'd be keeping her and not trying to flip her to some unsuspecting poor bastard who would then have a lifetime's worth of problems.

We want the owners of Hatteras yachts to be happy with what they have, not heartsick. It's our pleasure to protect potential Hatteras owners from conscienceless profiteers like yourself.

I did call Pier One, and I spoke with the sales manager, who is the person in charge of the brokerage staff. I also spoke to the broker, which was highly amusing. I should have taped that call, really, as it was entertaining in the extreme. Lots of bluster about how experienced he was and how he was in his eighties and had spent his entire life boating, etc etc. I would more describe it as one year eighty times, but who knows....

I think this illustrates the consensus of The Forum.....

To the Seller and Broker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNaQS3vDQc4

Poor David58my.

He had no idea what he was getting into.

Instead of making a quick buck on some poor, naive buyer - it is now HE who will likely be pouring money into an unsellable asset. Unsellable until he drops the price to a point where cost justifies the risk associated with a salvaged 40 year old boat.

Like most dreamers, I suspect he'll let it sit for a year or so before he ends up selling at break even or less.

Or worse yet he unloads it on an unsuspecting boater that has never had a boat this complicated and is unaware of this site. That would be a real mess, and if it were me, a big legal problem for Mr. Broker once I became aware of this string.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    He had no idea what he was getting into.
    The first time I had contact with him, I raved about what a great resource the HOF was where the HOF’ers were always standing by ready to help with anything Hatteras in any way at any time. I suggested more than once that he should join it right away. I asked him he had bought the boat to flip and he told me no which is why I was surprised he didn’t show up here right after he bought the boat.

What I guess I failed to tell him, because I didn’t think it was relevant at the time, is that while the HOF is the greatest place on Earth for all things “Hatt”, this place could also be one’s worst nightmare if you try to pull one over on one of the members or future members. I see he’s learning that the hard way. After all, it was one of you who discovered he was flipping the boat and brought that to light, particularly when the ad was found to be quite misleading.

That boat has salt damage that has not manifested itself yet, particularly with everything lying low in the port engine room, including that transmission, and the fittings on the tops of the fuel tanks. The fiberglass repair was the easy part of fixing her.
    Last edited by Angela; 06-29-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com