Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MY 58' - Cut FB Deck for Stairway

I have a 1978 MY and would like to cut open the FB deck in the Aft Deck to (4' x 4') to add a circular stairway. Can anyone help me with what I will find in the FB Deck (port side).

Re: MY 58' - Cut FB Deck for Stairway

1978 Hatteras MY that is...

You will find fiberglass and balsa coring.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I had coinsidered this my self, and then wondered how much more challenging it would be to climb or decend in sloppy conditions.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Glory View Post
    I had coinsidered this my self, and then wondered how much more challenging it would be to climb or decend in sloppy conditions.

JM
    Would it be any more challenging in those condition whether climbing to the flybridge from the aft deck than from the pilothouse? I'm not sure I could appreciate a difference climbing to the flybridge from the aft deck or the pilothouse (same level, about 20' apart, if that?).
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Would it be any more challenging in those condition whether climbing to the flybridge from the aft deck than from the pilothouse? I'm not sure I could appreciate a difference climbing to the flybridge from the aft deck or the pilothouse (same level, about 20' apart, if that?).
    I think the "circular", part in the stairway would be more challanging, not much differance than heading down to the galley, in a 3 SR 58, the left side of the steps are skinny.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

in sloppy conditions - the thought would be to leave the pilothouse ladder for such conditions, but the majority of the time the aft deck stairway would offer an easy access to the bridge while carrying a plate of food for the grill -- yes grilling is not a poor weather sport but is a big part of living on the boat.

So what I learn is that there is only Fiberglass and Balsa Coring... I was concerned there might be electric lines within the deck. All good

Thanks all for the feedback.. ill start to share the details of the construction

Electrical lines in the coring...somehow the electric has to be run to the aft nav light, and it's not exposed under or over the deck - it has to be in the coring somewhere since it arises out of the deck. Ditto for the two aft deck ceiling lights.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Quote Originally Posted by robertprovencher View Post
    in sloppy conditions - the thought would be to leave the pilothouse ladder for such conditions, but the majority of the time the aft deck stairway would offer an easy access to the bridge while carrying a plate of food for the grill -- yes grilling is not a poor weather sport but is a big part of living on the boat.

So what I learn is that there is only Fiberglass and Balsa Coring... I was concerned there might be electric lines within the deck. All good

Thanks all for the feedback.. ill start to share the details of the construction
    It was just my thoughts, trying to help, not offend. My YF has no pilot house, or pilot house steps.

You also might find some lifting cables and rings on the bridge beck structure.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

On my boat, once you pull down the headliner in the salon, you can see the wire going back to the overhead light and nav light. It runs centerline in a pvc pipe that is within the coring. Pull out the aft deck ceiling light and you will see what wires come and go and what direction they head. As I said, mine are all centerline.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI