Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what prep and primer to use on engine components?

I am planning to paint my 38 years old Detroit Diesels 6-71s for the first time since new. There are few rusty spots mainly around the anchoring points and on the transmission and very few bolts. I could replace the bolts with galvanized ones but what treatment (after mechanically wire brushing and/or scraping lose paint) should I do before priming? What primer should I use if I decide to go with Rustoleum high gloss white as a top coat? Is there a paint brush application high heat paint to paint around the few inches of the exhaust headers as I do not plan on spray painting which is messy. I do not care if the exhaust header high heat paint is not high gloss white. The biggest job I see is the scraping large lose flakes from the oil pan, priming and painting it. I'll need good light and mirror to see what I am doing under there. The rest is easy done with proper cleaning, degreasing and prep/protection work.
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Re: what prep and primer to use on engine components?

After removing scaley rust, paint with Ospho and follow directions. No more rust.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Thanks.

Can the surface then be overcoated with top coat like rustoleum after painting with ospho?
    M/V BONAZZA
    1980 Hatteras
    37 Convertible
    Hull# - 405
    Twin DD 6-71NA
    Vancouver, Canada

Definitely They recommend allowing 24 hours to dry then rinsing the residue with water. TSP in a pump up sprayer works for me. I have virtually eliminated rust in my engine room and the occasional bleeding stainless deck fittings and fasteners. But, ospho isn't recommended for SS per label. I use it anyway, just not on any SS welds or piping or hose clamps. Where the ospho does react with rust, the reaction turns the metal black--not so much on SS, though. Black is better than rust even if you aren't painting.

On my motors, I used a white etching primer (spray) for adhesion and finished it off with Johnson-Evinrude White engine paint (spray). It's a slightly creamy white with high gloss that isn't quite so stark as pure white. You can see the contrast between the motor and gear with the white white vertical support.

Why did I use outboard motor paint on Detroits you might ask? That was the PO's color choice, and it was a good one. BTW, it's not high heat paint. It'll stick everywhere but the first four inches of exhaust manifold.

IMG_6393.jpg
    Attached Images
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert what did you paint engine room floor with. I have to do mine at some point

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    Robert what did you paint engine room floor with. I have to do mine at some point
    Rustoleum Top Sides Gloss White. Looks good a year down the road.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If you do rinse the motor after neutralizing the rust, be sure to use lots and lots and lots of water to rinse away the TSP. TSP leaves a residue that can make paint peel if it’s not dissolved completely away.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I've used rust bullet on chassis stuff on my RV. Figured I may give it a shot in the engine room. Though it may be overkill....the stuff cures HARD.

https://www.rustbullet.com/

Amazon and other places sell it. Only buy what you are going to use, shelf life isn't long once opened.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    I've used rust bullet on chassis stuff on my RV. Figured I may give it a shot in the engine room. Though it may be overkill....the stuff cures HARD.https://www.rustbullet.com/Amazon and other places sell it. Only buy what you are going to use, shelf life isn't long once opened.
    Does look interesting.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I'm hoping to get a couple coats on my engines this spring as well. I can't find the brand Ospho easily at local stores, but Home Depot does carry Kleen strip phosphoric prep and etch. Anyone know if this is a suitable substitute for Ospho?
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau