Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1969 Hatteras 34 Convertible

Guys next weekend I'll be looking at a 1969 Hatteras 34 Convertible. The owner is a 90 year old person who hasn't used the boat since 1998. Boat looks great at the outside and inside. Refrigerator and stove are original and don't work, microwave is from the 1970's and doesn't work. A/C supposedly works but it must be old. Engines are Detroit 453t and it has a newer 8kw onan generator. Engines and generator run (he says). What should I look for when I go to see the boat?

Re: 1969 Hatteras 34 Convertible

A nice low price. For a boat like that the price should only be a small token to pass ownership and then the boat can be used and loved again. If the 4-53's run good it will not be fast but at least simple and good on fuel. All the other stuff is small potatoes.

I have owned my 34 for 25 years now. Never going to let it go.

The details will help get opinions. As the boat will be slow and loud if the price is not very reasonable pass on it. I believe some cummins repowered ones were sold in the $50k range.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Price is $8,000.

If she runs and floats you have a winner.

Be prepared to drop in 2x that to get her up and running for the long term .
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

That is a token payment. Price is right if it feels right to you. Would be worse if it was free because a free boat is the most expensive kind.:cool

As for things to look for the most vulnerable point in the whole boat is the salon bulkhead and (I call it) the main beam supporting it. Second is the balsa core on the forward deck above V-berth. Mine was wet from holes in deck when I bought it but dried out fine and is solid. Great boat, Great ride, and a conversation piece at the docks. At 8K it is a winner unless real POS on inspection. Even then may be worth an offer. Good luck.

I had a 1963 for 5 years. The boat can take some serious water. Enjoyed it tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by micky View Post
    Guys next weekend I'll be looking at a 1969 Hatteras 34 Convertible. The owner is a 90 year old person who hasn't used the boat since 1998. Boat looks great at the outside and inside. Refrigerator and stove are original and don't work, microwave is from the 1970's and doesn't work. A/C supposedly works but it must be old. Engines are Detroit 453t and it has a newer 8kw onan generator. Engines and generator run (he says). What should I look for when I go to see the boat?
    Depends how involved you want to get. If it's on the hard in cold country I'd at least bar the engines and gen you over to make sure their not seized from sitting. I'd also pull the valve covers and make sure the valves and injectors are moving.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I used to own a 34 with Detroit 453t and liked the boat. If the generator works and the engines run you should be OK. You can't hurt the hulls. But you need to be satisfied going slow. Just remember everything that the boat needs to have done always cost more than you think it will. At least that's how it always works for me.

Tomorrow is sea trial and inspection day. I’ll let everybody know how it went.