Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Another Year

Re: Another Year

Better be careful those temps don’t freeze that pink stuff you guys use to winterize your boats. Happy new year to all and thanks for all the help and advice. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

If this keeps up I'll be breaking out the iceboat.

Happy New Year to all. Regardless of how warm or cold.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Better be careful those temps don’t freeze that pink stuff you guys use to winterize your boats. Happy new year to all and thanks for all the help and advice. John
    Happy New Year John. Maybe this year we will get a chance to meet.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    If this keeps up I'll be breaking out the iceboat.

Happy New Year to all. Regardless of how warm or cold.
    At one time we owned a 1 man and a 2 man ice boat. If you have never experienced it, it is like sky diving and Formula 1 racing at the same time! A 1 man boat can top 90 mph, a 2 man 140 mph. The speed can be 5 times the speed of the wind. Ice boats held the land speed record for over 300 years!

Quote Originally Posted by BobWaz View Post
    At one time we owned a 1 man and a 2 man ice boat. If you have never experienced it, it is like sky diving and Formula 1 racing at the same time! A 1 man boat can top 90 mph, a 2 man 140 mph. The speed can be 5 times the speed of the wind. Ice boats held the land speed record for over 300 years!
    Thank you very much but I am very happy at 8 - 10 knots.

Good luck!

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

I'll take 100 mph. And at 0 GPH it's even better.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Happy New Year to all. Depending on where you and your boat are located, there is good news for all. The south Florida crew can bask in the mid sixty winter weather they share year round with the Palmetto bugs (large species of cockroach for us non Floridians). Moving north to the North Carolina area, it is really cold, around 17F this morning with an ice skim on our harbor. This is cold that we have missed for several years, but if it is maintained for a period, the crop of mosquitoes and flies will be greatly reduced during the 2018 boating season. Good trade off in my opinion. Going further north is questionable for this New Orleans born boy. Lived in upstate NY for several years, even owned a couple of snowmobiles and used them in Watertown, but never adapted to the Winters. So the point is choose what makes your life the best it can be, including location, and enjoy.

Pete

It was 15 this morning in Aiken, SC. That's pretty rugged for here. Turned the water off to the horse barn last night. Around sunup, I instructed my wife to wait for my signal down the hill before opening the cut-off. As usual, she heard half the instruction. I'm kneeling down closing the drain valves on the gas instant heater when I get a blast from the open drains which, inconveniently, are elbowed right at me. I heard it coming, but my knees let me down again. Maybe tomorrow morning we can switch positions.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Here on Long Island, NY we are forecast to have a low of 2 degrees Friday and Saturday. But I will miss that I'll be in Vermont the forecast is for -20 the same days.

Stay warm!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by BobWaz View Post
    It is a blast I can tell you. We had a very small one that my father built from plans and used a cut-down Snipe rig on it. Since you sat only about six inches off the ice it was quite an experience. But trust me, one wants to wear a helmet if one has any sense. At the time we apparently did not.

Unfortunately the boat had fallen into disrepair since it's not that common for the bay up here to freeze anymore. Pic from the last time it was intact:

A lot of the parts are still around, the plans are around somewhere and I took dimensions off the pieces that were disintegrating. If I had known we were going to see this kind of cold I would have gotten busy in the workshop over the summer.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375