Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Cold Snap Advice

Boat is in the water on the Tenn River. Blown water out of plumbing with compressed air. Oil filled heaters (4) in engine room, forward berth, generator room, and aft stateroom. Water temp in river 41 degrees.Do I need to do more? Overnight temp forecast to be 18.Any benefit to running reverse cycle air conditioners?Your advice is solicited.Mark

Re: Cold Snap Advice

Do you have engine block heaters. If so turn them on to heat ER. My boat has a windshield washer line up in the bridge. If you have that you may want to make sure it drained out when you blew lines out. That would probably freeze before anything in the boat. Also running your reverse cycle a/c in heat mode would prevent the pump from freezing (though it probably won't with a heated ER) and keep plumbing in boat from freezing. Open cabinet doors so heat can get in there

I don't have block heaters. I'll blow out the wiper lines. Can anyone think of anything else?

Run the motors and let them get as warm as possible in the slip. They will hold the heat for a day or two. Tha5 will protect them.

The wiper lines should get drained or filled with antifreeze like your car and the water system aboard will best be drained but if the boat is kept warm and the river is 40 you should be ok.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If you have a washdown fitting on the deck drain that also. Make sure to cover the fresh air intakes to the engine rooms to prevent heat from escaping - if you don't have covers then stuff with towels!
    Last edited by eze2bme; 12-29-2017 at 10:44 PM.

I have blocked the engine vents, plugged all fan vents.I will run engines like Scott suggested.Record cold in Tenn for 4 or 5 days.

Your boat is setting in water that's still in the upper 40's. No reason to run the engines unless it just makes you feel better. Heat in the ER is more than sufficient.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

How cold does the river get? Does it drop fast?

40 is OK 30 is bad.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Shot it with an infrared this evening 41 degrees.Hi Randy...

Water still freezes at 32 degrees.

Can you determine how long to drop 8 degrees?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.