Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Delo 400 40w sale

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    A post from Bobk way back when

Low ash (<1.0%) is preferred for the two stroke engines. Detroit has a PDF on this but I could not find it. Remember, two strokes need straight 40 oil.

This information is a bit old, but may be good. Shell Rotella 40 is at the upper limit of the ash spec. I've used it, but switched to NAPA 75118 (Valvoline) as it is well below the spec and I can easily get it anywhere.
    ASH, %

Exxon XD3____________.80%
    Mobil Delvac 1240______.80% (if you can still find it)
    Castrol Assuron________.80%
    Valvoline Fleet Plus_____.80%
    Delo 100______________.85%
    Texaco Ursa___________.85%
    Shell Rotella__________1.00%
    Valvoline Fleet Guard Plus SAE 40 also meets the 0.8% spec

Funny how these things get attributed to others. I compiled that list and posted it that years ago. At the time I was using the XD3, thats why it was on the top of the list. Some of those oils are no longer available.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Funny how these things get attributed to others. I compiled that list and posted it that years ago. At the time I was using the XD3, thats why it was on the top of the list. Some of those oils are no longer available.
    I found it searching for older posts just because the same questions and answers seem to be restated.

For all I know it could go all the way back to the 1930's when Detroit first made the 2 strokes.

At least I didn't try to take credit for it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thank you gentleman, looks like it's valvoline for me

I cant see what differenc the sulphur content makes to lubricating the engine

5. Re: Delo 400 40w sale

The Chevron marketing bulletin is posted under tips and tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    It's sulphated ash content.

I'd just follow the recommendations and not cause buildup in the combustion chambers but that's not my call on others boats.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by ian w View Post
    Read the bulletins from DD regarding 2 stroke oil. The sulfated ash is supposed to be less than 2%. But use whatever you like, its your engine.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Like zinc content for my cummins. Oil is not universal. Different formulations for different engines.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Sky,

Sorry I did not credit you for the oils list; I didn't realize you were the author. I found that list about eight or ten years ago and have no idea from where. I posted it just to try to help other HOFers. Which of the oil are on longer avalable?

Bobk

Texaco Ursa is one.

Pete