Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Looking for 54-56 MY

Welcome back and Happy Hunting.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Thanks for that! Looking is much fun, also a little stressful. Trying to keep it all in the right perspective.

Looking for something around mid-80s vintage. I like the YF model and can't figure out why Hatteras didn't re-invent them later on. The later cockpit models (other than sportfish) are too large for what we're looking for (e.g., 61-63'+).

Cheryl
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

I would seriously look at Angela's 58MY, Sanctuary. Due to storm damage from Hurricane Irma her insurance company has declared the boat a total loss. The damage sounds like some glass work, paint, and replacement swim platform. She did not sink. I hear the insurance company wants $40,000 as is. I bet they would take any offers. If there is no serious hidden damage this boat can be a real bargain. While I have not been on her in several years Angela has always maintained her in first-rate condition so she is not the usual junker, just one the insurance company won't bother with.

Move her out of Miami, find a DIY yard or one farther north where labor is cheaper, tell the yard to fix her in their slow period. This could be a rare opportunity to pick up a quality, well-cared-for boat at a bargain price.

If you are looking for a boat it would be a big mistake not to look at this one. I think the insurance company gets her around the end of January, so look now!
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Check it out in person with a member of the yard that will fix her. Get a close estimate. There will be surprises.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Holtcl, I sent you a private message and can’t tell if you got it, nor can I tell that I sent it. Did you get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfare View Post
    I would seriously look at Angela's 58MY, Sanctuary. Due to storm damage from Hurricane Irma her insurance company has declared the boat a total loss. The damage sounds like some glass work, paint, and replacement swim platform. She did not sink. I hear the insurance company wants $40,000 as is. I bet they would take any offers. If there is no serious hidden damage this boat can be a real bargain. While I have not been on her in several years Angela has always maintained her in first-rate condition so she is not the usual junker, just one the insurance company won't bother with.

Move her out of Miami, find a DIY yard or one farther north where labor is cheaper, tell the yard to fix her in their slow period. This could be a rare opportunity to pick up a quality, well-cared-for boat at a bargain price.

If you are looking for a boat it would be a big mistake not to look at this one. I think the insurance company gets her around the end of January, so look now!
    I agree. Monica and I stayed aboard Sanctuary several times (a week each time) a few years ago and
    Angela was always on top of anything that needed done to the boat. It's certainly worth a look and
    having a couple of repair yards give you some cost ideas. I think Jim Grove is correct that it will probably
    become a bargain. If I were about 20 or so years younger, I would be all over that boat.

Walt

Buy it before Gilman does LOL

Sorry, have been on travel and just got back yesterday. I saw the post on Sanctuary and was saddened to hear that she was hurt in the storm. Having had a 5-year project in Cinderella, my previous 53, I am not sure I'm up for another project at this time. I might have one more project boat left in my lifetime!

Continuing to look at leads and just responded to the private message.

Cheryl
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"

I have a nice 53 ed, 1983 in Deland Fl. I'm thinking of selling it, health reasons.

Thanks Lunatica-

Have been to Ohio, Kentucky, and Florida for boat-looking - if we get on the road again in that direction I'll reach out to you. Wish you well.

Cheryl
    1985 53 ED "True North"
    Formerly:
    1971 53 MY "Cinderella"
    1970 44 MY "Bay Mariner"