Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: Hatteras for big family

The catamaran we owned was a Manta 42 with a 21' beam (3 state rooms and 2 heads with showers) that we (my wife and I and 2 toddler daughters) lived aboard. We cruised the entire east coast from Maine to the dry Tortugas and the Bahamas and I almost never had problems finding space in Marinas! Let me be clear, I prefer sailing a monohaul over a cat. Our catamaran was loaded down for cruising so it performed just like a motorsailer!
    - Small engines (Volvo 30 hp X 2) easier maintenance and initial costs. Plenty of power to drive this boat at hull speed.
    - It had more storage than my Hatteras 43 DCFB currently does.
    - Most systems were 12volt DC...including our water maker and refrigeration. We carried 600 amps using AGM batteries.
    - We had the overhead space to install and use regularly (10) 75 watt solar panels which easily powered our refrigeration, water maker as well as lighting, radios and other electronics daily.
    - Each engine belted to high output alternators with smart regulation.
    -5 kilowatt Nextgen generator which ran our 2 system heat pumps (10000 and 16000 BTU) that more than kept up with demand of heating and cooling the boat while running the battery charger.
    -propane stove and I also heat exchanged hot water off of one of our engines.
    - We carried a 100 gallon fuel tank (remember, we sipped diesel) and a 100 gallon water tank. We even had 2 fresh water toilets.
    - We even had a combo washer and dryer.

My wife would do home school with the kids while I ran the boat with or without sails, we always had a stable platform!!!

Perfect boat? Of course not but...It was the perfect boat for us at the time. It just depends on what your needs are.

Jon
    Last edited by jrbrein; 12-28-2017 at 07:06 AM.
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

We had a 43' '85 Hatt M/Y and cruised the Bahamas, the ICW etc. and lived aboard 6-8 months at a time. It was just the two of us. I can say without hesitation that if you include dock fees in the maintenance costs, 17K/yr is conservative. In a larger boat you can expect to pay substantially more.
    This figure included insurance (with Bahamas) , a hull value under 100K, a haul out and bottom paint (no blister work) every other year, oil filter changes, a diver to scrub the bottom monthly, and some misc. expenses. It did not include new enclosures, engine work, genny work, prop tuning, and electronics.
    BTW I did all of the maintenance myself.

Short term dockage rates while you are on the move will be expensive. I would not plan on getting to the caribbean and back in a summer. I don't know what the range of the boats you are looking at is, but it had better be above 500 kmi if you really intend to do the caribbean. Most boats are not adequately equipped IMHO to cruise the Bahamas let alone the caribbean. So figure in additional costs for inverters, solar (kids will consume power), reverse os. water maker, a freezer, and etc.. For a family that large you will certainly want a substantial water maker and you will need a place to put it. I'm thinking no less than 600 gpd and maybe more like 1000 gpd. Where gpd is probably gallons per 24 hours. While that seems high, you have to realize these things make NOISE and you don't want them running all day.
    Regards
    Dan

Hi 555! Running a generator burns a gallon an hour. Dockage at a nice marina in South Florida will be at least around $12,000 a year plus electric. Double in the Keys. Triple in the Bahamas. Summer dock for 3 months this past summer in Marsh Harbor cost $7,000 plus $50 electric per day. Maintenance on a 50 footer will probably average out around $2500 a month if you have it done right. Also...Don't buy a fixer upper ANYTHING! You'll be sorry!

Oh here's an idea. Have you considered a week long Bahamas charter of like a 55ft Catamaran? It would certainly give your family a full week of experience living with one another in close quarters.

Another suggestion...keep a land dwelling...but buy a 40 foot aft cabin boat for Weekends and family trips. When weekends on board start extending to Friday thru Monday...you'll be ready for the live aboard step up. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by pizzazsdaddy View Post
    Hi 555! Running a generator burns a gallon an hour. Dockage at a nice marina in South Florida will be at least around $12,000 a year plus electric. Double in the Keys. Triple in the Bahamas. Summer dock for 3 months this past summer in Marsh Harbor cost $7,000 plus $50 electric per day. Maintenance on a 50 footer will probably average out around $2500 a month if you have it done right. Also...Don't buy a fixer upper ANYTHING! You'll be sorry!Oh here's an idea. Have you considered a week long Bahamas charter of like a 55ft Catamaran? It would certainly give your family a full week of experience living with one another in close quarters.Another suggestion...keep a land dwelling...but buy a 40 foot aft cabin boat for Weekends and family trips. When weekends on board start extending to Friday thru Monday...you'll be ready for the live aboard step up. Good Luck!
    Hello!Actually we’ve been in this situation before when we had our brand new weekend cruiser Regal 32” and stayed aboard for 2 week sometimes. And at the same time we chartered couple times catamaran Leopard. The idea now is to change our lifestyle and to try live and travel, get new emotions and see new places, more freedom.