Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Hatteras for big family

Maintenance costs are as hard for a stranger to estimate as to what would be actually comfortable for your family.
    It starts with what your standards are for seaworthiness, creature comforts, and cosmetics. Then, what shape is the boat in when you buy it vis a vis those standards.
    Then, what does it cost where you live to have repairs and maintenance done to those standards? As for DIY, the first issue is what value you put on your time, a lot of folks apparently value their time at 0. Then of course your capability to do the work in the way that meets your standards.
    Lastly, you have to have a reserve fund in place for when Something Really Expensive breaks, like an engine or transmission.

Personally, I think if someone has to ask strangers the answer to these questions, to paraphrase JP Morgan, they can't afford it.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Post Re: Hatteras for big family

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    I replied early in the thread but had mrginal signal in the exumas and it never made it...You need to set reasonable goals. Going to the bahamas during the sumer is fine bt the caribbean is another story... will never happen in one summer break especially with the risks and delays of hurricane season.One of the biggest expense maintenance wise assuming the engines and genset ar in good shape is air con. This has been my experience on my 53 and on newer boats i ve run. You cant put a number of maintnwnce as it really depends on the condition of the boat, and luck. I d say anywhere from $10k to $30k a year also depending on how much you can do yourself Dont overlook the cost of settting uo the boat to your need. If you plan on soending time on the hook while cruising you will need an inverter and a large inverter bank. Otherwise plan on a gallon an hour for th genset and in the bahamas is $4 a gallon... i was just there. Thats basically $800a week in fuel just for the generator. For long trips down there you need two generators for reliability You also need a water maker, it is a must have in the bahamas if anchored especially with a large family on board. So make sure you include all that in your initial budget.
    Thank you for information!
    We’re planing to cruise the Bahamas this summer and the Caribbean the next one.
    As for maintenance we thought it would be around 20k a year.
    Your info that the cost only for staying at generator is 800$ is honestly upsets... I seriously start to consider the sail boat for long offshore cruising.
    Though my wife prefer comfortable power boat
    Last edited by Smart555; 12-26-2017 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart555 View Post
    Thank you for information!
    We’re planing to cruise the Bahamas this summer and the Caribbean the next one.
    As for maintenance we thought it would be around 20k a year.
    Your info that the cost only for staying at generator is 800$ is honestly upsets... I seriously start to consider the sail boat for long offshore cruising.
    Though my wife prefer comfortable power boat
    Why is a sailboat that accommodates 6 people living aboard going to cost any less to run the generator? What percent of the time do you think you would actually be able to sail it vs motor?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Why is a sailboat that accommodates 6 people living aboard going to cost any less to run the generator? What percent of the time do you think you would actually be able to sail it vs motor?
    As I understand usage sail and engine is araund 50/50 Then I’m going to install solar panels, wind generator and run generator only at night for AC when it’s too hot.

My point was that you need to plan and upgrade the boat based on YOUR needs. If you re going to spend most time on the hook you need an inverter.

Properly set up, you can cut down generator use to 4 hours a day to recharge,cook and make water. In summer you may need to run the genset at night but there is enough ventilation to keep the main deck cool during the day

But again th Caribbean in summer isn't really feasible. Starting late June you get into the rainy season with tropical waves moving thru which even if they don't develop into depressions or storms just give you a few days of crappy weather. It s also a long way down beating into open Atlantic... enjoy the Bahamas instead
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I always owned sailboats and when we lived aboard for five years, 3 of those years were on a sailing catamaran. Lots of space and we motored at hull speed which was 7.5 knots. We consumed on average 3.5 GPH including the generator. Since we were constantly traveling, we were motoring way more than 50% of the time. We picked our weather windows carefully and really tried to use the sails as often as we could. We ended up motoring and motor sailing probably 90% of the time.

I decided that a power boat this time around made more sense for my wife and I based on how we plan to use this boat...coastal cruising in good weather, ICW, Bahamas and the Chesapeake Bay.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

sailboats , unless catamarans, need to be larger than a MY for the same SF. The cost per mile of sail vs power is not that different, according to my 200,000 mile friend on his 5th ocean sailing yacht vs our cost on our Hatteras.
    His rule is budget 10% of your basis in the boat, once it is in the condition you like for maintenance and insurance.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Quote Originally Posted by jrbrein View Post
    I always owned sailboats and when we lived aboard for five years, 3 of those years were on a sailing catamaran. Lots of space and we motored at hull speed which was 7.5 knots. We consumed on average 3.5 GPH including the generator. Since we were constantly traveling, we were motoring way more than 50% of the time. We picked our weather windows carefully and really tried to use the sails as often as we could. We ended up motoring and motor sailing probably 90% of the time.I decided that a power boat this time around made more sense for my wife and I based on how we plan to use this boat...coastal cruising in good weather, ICW, Bahamas and the Chesapeake Bay. Jon
    Hello Jon!Thank you for your reply!What size catamaran did you have? We thought that buying catamaran would be the better option for our family. But it’s too difficult to find the good one with 200k-250k budget.Did you live aboard with kids?What pros and cons of this experience you can tell? If you go to the Bahamas what you prefer better with family power or sail boat?

I went thru this same dilemma for a couple of years trying to decide whether we were going to refit the hatt and set it up our way or sell it as is for next to nothing and buy a cat

We were really tempted by a 45/48 cat either leopard or Fontaine Pajot. On the plus side you get a lot of space, shallow draft and economical running costs

On the downside, the systems, comfort and storage are nowhere near what we ll have on the 53 once finished. Small genset, small fuel tank, marginal AC, limited water tankage and batteries. Worst, cats have very limited space to upgrade the systems

In the end we decided to repower and redo the hatt. We ll get our sailing fix while in the Bahamas by carrying our 12' classic catboat as a tender.

Best of both world
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I second Pascals comments, we sailed halfway around the world on a 43 foot monohull, thought about a cat but in San Diego it is almost impossible to get a slip for a 45 to 48 foot cat so we got the Hatt and I do not regret it a bit. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.