Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Hatteras for big family

Please take rsmith's cautions to heart. We raised our four kids on the water and typically had them out on small boats when they were just a few months old. But you have to watch them carefully and train them in being safe on the boat and water. It can be a wonderful experience for both parents and kids, but you will need to take some extra precautions and get some training for the kids and perhaps your self. A life jacket is a minimum but doesn't help when a fall is stoppped by something hard like a wharf, deck or swim platform.

Storage can be a problem when you come from a spacious dirt home. You will need to become 'minimalists' with limited wardrobes. Out of season stuff and tools can be stored ashore in a locker. Consider also that the school age kids will need some quiet areas for studies and homework. Hopefully you are all very compatible. Good luck with your dream.

Bobk
    Chateau de Mer
    Series I 48' motor yacht

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    I have a 54 ED and Scott is right about interior volume. The 17'6" makes a real difference. The regullar 54 might be a better layout as although we have 4 cabins, 3 of them have queen berths and the 4th has upper/lower twins. The regular 54 are galley down (our is up) 3 cabins but 2 of them have 2 twins. There is a 1985 54 in my marina and it is a very nice yacht.BTW have you looked at the model brochures section on the site and viewed different layouts? That was how we decided n the model we bought. It has been perfect for us (2 full time) with 3 adult offspring (just thought adult kids is an oxymoron...) that can all visit at the same time.
    Thank you!
    We already looked at the brochure and found that 54 layouts suits us well.
    But the big question is how comfortable is it for relatively long offshore cruising to Bahamas and Caribbean in “Trawler mode”?

Stabilized is a must. Even better than the 1510 boats for ride and probably a bit faster on plane.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

We agree that the safety is very important. This boat is going to be our third. Before we had experience of cruising with 3 kids for couple years. Last boat was 32" Regal Express with full safety equipment including EPIRB, life jackets, flares and so on, and so force! We cruised on this boat from Fort Lauderdale to Key West and Dry Tortuga and Bimini Bahamas.
    We also teach children safety on the water.
    Last edited by Smart555; 12-25-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Stabilized is a must. Even better than the 1510 boats for ride and probably a bit faster on plane.
    Thank you !

How much do you think Yearly maintenance may cost for 1983-1986 Hatteras 54-58 "?
    Of course we understand its very approximately and depends on condition of the boat .

That’s a question you can get 100’s of different answers for. Depending on how handy you are. Are you going to do all the work on the boat or hire it out? I do a lot of my own work and my boat was in very good shape when I bought her. I’ve spend 40k in the last three years. Salt water or fresh? Makes a big difference. Do you need paint? New equipment needed?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Maintenance costs are gonna depend a lot on how much you are able to do yourself vs hiring a professional. I have a 55 convertible and the labor would put me out of the market if I had to pay someone to do all of my repairs & maintenance. I have quite a bit of training and experience with various systems so I have been able to eliminate the labor from the equation on many items. But remember time is money so if working on the boat is keeping you from making money at your other job you may be better off to pay someone. Also your dependance on the newest and most advanced electronics, tv's, phones, etc can make your maintenance costs be minimal or over the top. I can pretty much navigate anywhere with my iPad, a couple apps, a VHF radio, working radar and some form of a depth finder. Others won't leave the dock with out FLIR, satellite TV, Sirius radio, hard wired maps overlaid with the latest weather, AIS info, autopilot and a satellite phone system. All these items plug into maintenance costs so its kind of hard to say without knowing your expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    That’s a question you can get 100’s of different answers for. Depending on how handy you are. Are you going to do all the work on the boat or hire it out? I do a lot of my own work and my boat was in very good shape when I bought her. I’ve spend 40k in the last three years. Salt water or fresh? Makes a big difference. Do you need paint? New equipment needed?
    Thank you!Salt water.I don’t have much experience in maintenance so far and likely we have to hire a professional marine mechanic. I understand every situation is individual. That’s why I want to hear different opinions. What basically for you had to spend 40k?

Quote Originally Posted by Smart555 View Post
    Thank you!
    We already looked at the brochure and found that 54 layouts suits us well.
    But the big question is how comfortable is it for relatively long offshore cruising to Bahamas and Caribbean in “Trawler mode”?
    We don't cruise as much as we would like to but first couple of years went up and down east coast from Norfolk to Stuart where we are primarily based a couple times. Stayed in the Bahamas for six months in 2015.

We are stabilized, all new electronics in 2014; fairly large inverter and separate battery bank in late 2014 and water maker in 2013. A few other creature comforts helped as when we travel we try to anchor out as much as possible and have never been uncomfortable.

Regarding safety, EPIRB in 2013, new life raft same year, redundant radios including hand held, ACR ditch bag, dry bag with lots of extra batteries and other goodies including some food and drinks.

As many here will tell you, find the best conditioned boat of the model you want but be prepared for ongoing replacements of anything and everything, often at the least convenient times I'm not as handy or experienced as many here so minor electric, plumbing and odd jobs (polishing, paint touch up, carpentry) I try to do. Engines, AC, major electric (I don't touch any of the shore power related things) is left for the pros

I replied early in the thread but had mrginal signal in the exumas and it never made it...

You need to set reasonable goals. Going to the bahamas during the sumer is fine bt the caribbean is another story... will never happen in one summer break especially with the risks and delays of hurricane season.

As to the boat, definitely look at the later wider beam models which will offer more storage and living space. I would not pick a boat without side decks with a large group because it funnels everyone thru the saloon... havign kids going thru 20 times an hour will get old fast. And you want a large aft dck... forget balconies as on some EDs

One of the biggest expense maintenance wise assuming the engines and genset ar in good shape is air con. This has been my experience on my 53 and on newer boats i ve run. You cant put a number of maintnwnce as it really depends on the condition of the boat, and luck. I d say anywhere from $10k to $30k a year also depending on how much you can do yourself

Dont overlook the cost of settting uo the boat to your need. If you plan on soending time on the hook while cruising you will need an inverter and a large inverter bank. Otherwise plan on a gallon an hour for th genset and in the bahamas is $4 a gallon... i was just there. Thats basically $800a week in fuel just for the generator. For long trips down there you need two generators for reliability

You also need a water maker, it is a must have in the bahamas if anchored especially with a large family on board.

So make sure you include all that in your initial budget.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat