Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Teak Deck Repair

I will try to post a picture below to show what I am talking about. I have a small section of a teak deck that apparently was worn down to the fiberglass. I would like to make this fiberglasss portion less noticeable until I can get around to actually pulling the board to replace it. Since whatever will be used to change the color to match the deck will be applied to fiberglass006.jpg035.jpg (the yellow looking stuff in the picture), is there anything that might make this look better in the short term? Thanks.

Re: Teak Deck Repair

Assuming you are referring to just the two yellow areas rather than the grey, check with a good paint store. Take a good picture with you and ask for a graining kit. This is a kind of two color kit, a base coat to change the yellow to a brown, then a graining coat to leave some kind of grain effect. Be sure you get exterior paints. If you are going to bleach the gray and re-seal or oil the deck, I would do the bleach part before graining, then seal over the patch. Be sure to show the store folks the color as you want the final product to look.

Or, you can do the entire deck with a truck bed coating and paint it. Lots of Taiwan trawlers have used this approach to stop leaky teak decks.

Bobk

Thanks. Just trying to do the two yellow streaks. The rest I will worry about in the Spring. Have you ever heard of using a gel stain used for fiberglass doors on something like this?

Would think the entire deck is about to be worn thru like the 2 spots all ready are.
    The yellow could be epoxy/glue from when the deck was put down.
    You could mix in some color additive to epoxy and brush it on, if you can get it both dry and warm enough.
    Unless there's a special reason that board has worn down you're probably looking at replacing the entire deck or stripping it and get it back to fiberglass.
    Is the deck put down with screws and plugs or is only glued down?

You probably don't want to hear this put you really might consider getting the boat shrink wrapped for the winter, it's an Ocean, not a Hatteras.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

It is glued down. And, I have a winter aft shade that covers that deck.

Get a small piece of the Teak and Holly exterior carpet. No need to spend a ton of time matching paints if you’re going to replace.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'd hit it with a black or brown perm magic marker. Color match depends on wet or dry, clean or dirty teak.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

John, are you referring to the faux teak painting that's then clear coated being used on transoms, toe rails, helm pods, cockpit bulkheads, and doors? Don't think it will work for this. It's going to hurt a lot if you end up putting in a new teak deck....
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Eric - I thought of that but was unsure whether a magic marker would stick to fiberglass?

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    John, are you referring to the faux teak painting that's then clear coated being used on transoms, toe rails, helm pods, cockpit bulkheads, and doors? Don't think it will work for this. It's going to hurt a lot if you end up putting in a new teak deck....
    Don't know. I just went online and saw what they are using to paint fiberglass front doors on houses to look like wood stain. Heck, if magic markers work, that will be my first choice.