Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Shopping, then Cruising Chicago to South Florida

For $400,000 I think I'd rather buy the best Hatteras I could find around $200,000 and put $200,000 into it. You'd have a much better boat and you'd be proud to own it. If I owned that Carver I'd be kicking myself that it wasn't painted, had no isolation transforms, no stablilzers, etc, etc.....

After owning a painted boat, I'd never own one with finish gelcoat and I boat in the north away from the worst of the sun damage.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Sky - I would like to take issue, a little, with your last. As you know, I own a 74 Hatteras and now also a 56 Ocean. The Ocean is a painted hull so I am in agreement with you there. Although I have only owned the Ocean for about one month, I can say that it fits the bill for my intended use. Would I want to use it to make a 200 mile Canyon trip everyday, probably not. Does it have its shortcomings like limited access to certain portions of the hull, no parallel switches, no internal strainers for the engines, you bet. But in fairness, it also is devoid of the Hatteras smell, has a beautiful interior, updated head and water pump systems and the like. I also like the 27 knot cruise at 60 GPH. So, in a 15 foot sea, would I rather have a Hatteras - for sure. But, to go fishing for blues and strippers in Long Island Sound and avoiding going out in anything over 3 feet, the Ocean is BETTER for me than an older, slower, heavier, thirsty Hatteras. That's one reason why I sold my 42 Hatteras Open to but the Ocean. I know it is all a matter of personal preference byt for my needs, it was the right choice.

An Ocean is no Hatteras but it’s also no Carver. The Ocean is miles above. I have several friends who own or owned Carvers and while the interiors are pretty and often well laid out, it’s not a boat I could own. When you start taking things apart and look behind the curtain, the build quality is too poor for my liking. Tat pretty interior is built over poor quality materials. I’m no fan of Searay but to claim a Carver is better built than Searay or Azimut is very far from what i’ve Seen.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    If you don't care about looks. And IMO, life is too short to own an ugly boat.
    Life is also too short to spend hours defending your boat against 40 years of mariner scorn, well earned scorn.

You have to wonder if any market testing of the external appearance was done?

Pete

Let me expand on my market testing comment with a short story. Back 6 or 8 years ago the Admiral and I attended the Miami Show and were on a new Hatteras Sport Fish. A person with a Hatteras badge approached us and asked if we would take a preference survey about a possible new product. After assuring the person twice that I was not a potential customer for a 100 foot motor yacht, which was the subject of the survey, they came close to insisting and we agreed. Suppose they did not want to mess up their random selection algorithm.

So we sat down for 30 minutes with independent surveyor, hired by Hatteras, and looked at a book of alternative line drawings for every aspect of the proposed product, with the main focus on the exterior of the boat, from deck layout to handrail designs. Received a SAM's discount for outerwear coupon for our participation which never got used.

This is the market testing of which I write in my prior post. Just wondering how Carver decided that the exterior of the 57 would be appealing to potential buyers or anyone else?

Pete

It resembles an RV to me, similiar to a bluewater. Perhaps the target market is the houseboat or RV crowd.
    Then the look makes sense.
    We are not the target market for sure.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Very few boat designs excite me as much as a classic Hatteras, however Carver apparently knows it's
    market because they sell a lot of boats. Most of us on this forum are not their market but as the saying
    goes "different strokes for different folks".

Walt

Carver doesn't care what we think. End of story. LOL

I don't like the lines of the front, but it's not horrible looking. I'd take it over a hatteras MY any day. Why? It has a cockpit and a raised pilot house.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

In my humble opinion the Carver Voyager series looks a whole lot like the newer Hatteras 56/60 and 63/64 Motor Yachts. Not my personal preference but there is a pretty large design comparison so you have to think that these designs were pretty well thought out.

5877854_20160719150028493_1_XLARGE.jpg

6273718_20170617125741354_5_XLARGE.jpg
    Nightingale - 1984 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht

I live in Southern California, Newport Beach. For whatever reason Carver had one hell of a dealer here or it seems like it because they are everywhere in Newport Harbor. Unfortunately I have two in my canal that I get look at on a daily basis. I have absolutely nothing to base this statement on other than my own observations but out of the hundreds or possibly a thousand Carvers in my bay the fraction of boats that actually leave the harbor for say Catalina Island, or a trip south to San Diego (god forbid Mexico) is extremely small. These are glorified cocktail cruisers at best. Another unsubstantiated worthless stat that I have observed is why the hell cant a Carver / Bayliner / Searey owner pull their fenders in ? My god the boats are ugly enough on their own the last thing they need is 8 fenders hanging off the sides going down the bay. Bayport Yachts that sold all of these glorious Carvers is no longer the dealer which is kind of weird. I have no axe to grind with Carvers other than the fender thing to each his own.