Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Davit cable

Davit cable

I’m unhappy with how noisy the davit in my boat is. It’s not the motor making noise. It’s the cable jumping and popping over itself on the spool mostly. Will greasing the cable help with this? Is there any drawback to this? Alternatively, has anyone here converted to spectra or dyneema as winch cable? Every time I come down here I find something else to do

Re: Davit cable

I found while reeling it up I guide it so it does not cross over itself. That will stop the popping and jerking when you let your dinghy down. Just don’t get your fingers to close.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Switch to Am-Steel Blue. I did based on recommendations on this site. Great Stuff! You'll never use cable again.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Never heard of it. Is it vinyl coated or something like that?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

http://www.samsonrope.com/Pages/Prod...?ProductID=872

1 1/2" ought to lift your Hatteras just fine.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Just read up on it. What size did you order? My dinghy and motor weight about 300 lbs max
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I use Amsteel, I buy an extra 15' and each year I cut off the length exposed to the sun. I do this as a precaution due to the ultraviolet light must have an effect on the fabric if the Amsteel.

Not only is the Amsteel quieter, you will never get a cut on a broken strand when you grab the lift line.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Just read up on it. What size did you order? My dinghy and motor weight about 300 lbs max
    I use 1/4", it's overkill and rated for 6,000#s, if my memory is any good, but that is the size of the block on the davit.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

What type of connection do you use for the hook? If cutting off 15’ a year the connection must be DIY. Do you need to braid it with a rigging needle?

Agree with the Amstel. The size diameter that you need to get to fit comfortably on the reel will probably be rated strong enough to almost lift the whole boat. Use a pretty heavy hook or a hook and weight because the line is so light it will barely unroll from the reel. The stuff is actually really good for UV protection it is used on sailboats for Hylards that stay out in the sun for years, but the cut off idea is still a good one. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.