Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Outrigger finish

Anyone have any suggestions on cleaning up/refinishing some outrigger poles?

Re: Outrigger finish

I've tried everything.
    Nothing lasts more than a couple weeks.
    If you find something that actually works, let me know.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

A good 2 part urethane works and will last for years. Don’t go with the cheap one component products they don’t work. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

You might try the outboard motor spray paint. It has held up for 10 years on some aluminum parts on my sundeck roof but the parts are under the dink so never see sun.

Bobk

fiberglass or aluminum outriggers?

When the fiberglass starts to look poor and fray, mix up epoxy and paint it on with a brush and paint with LP (or buy new...they're not that expensive).

When aluminum gets pitted there's no good way to do it. You would need to remove, sand, prime with etching primer, fill any pits, and paint with a quality 2 part paint. You're better off buying new, even though they're likely to be expensive. As an alternative I suppose you could just buy new anodized tube and replace those parts and reuse the spreader bars.

Was about to get a new set of Rupps to replace ours from 1987 3 or 4 years ago. They had been coated with a ceramic coating that turned milky. Somehow we stumbled onto Everbrite, the procedure is to clean the metal, polish with Maas, and then use a foam brush to apply their Protectaclear product onto the metal. The riggers were probably a 4 out of 10 pre-application and after a 9plus out of 10. We just reapply a coating in the fall before we store the riggers inside so they're ready for the spring. The original process was 2 guys on each rigger for probably 4-5 hours, couldn't believe how well they turned out, now coat all of the aluminum twice a year so we don't have to wax it.

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/ca...ners-c-13.html
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Red face Re: Outrigger finish

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Was about to get a new set of Rupps to replace ours from 1987 3 or 4 years ago. They had been coated with a ceramic coating that turned milky. Somehow we stumbled onto Everbrite, the procedure is to clean the metal, polish with Maas, and then use a foam brush to apply their Protectaclear product onto the metal. The riggers were probably a 4 out of 10 pre-application and after a 9plus out of 10. We just reapply a coating in the fall before we store the riggers inside so they're ready for the spring. The original process was 2 guys on each rigger for probably 4-5 hours, couldn't believe how well they turned out, now coat all of the aluminum twice a year so we don't have to wax it.

Remember those things got a finish on them when its gone its gone . Cricket may have the right idear. I use colonite cleaner with brass wool. follow with the colonite wax. about a season is all you get out of it... ( i use the #2 brass wool.)Little by little it will bring it back but it is a lot of elbo grease

When I said nothing works for long, I wasn't considering painting them.
    That is unlikely to work for long, once the aluminum has chloride ion penetration due to exposure to saltwater there is no was to un-do it and paint will soon bubble due to corrosion underneath the paint.
    As far as taking them down to give them a regular polish and wax - sure, that will work. But mine are 48', it takes three guys and hour to get them off the boat and two to reinstall..
    I recently rebuilt mine (all new wires etc) and polished them in the process. They looked like I hadn't touched them a month later.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

Think we cleaned them with barkeepers soft scrub (or similar) using the 3m white Scotchbrite pads with lots of water before the polishing step. We didn't really have any pitting, but there were some spots where the anodizing was gone and were close to pitting. The polishing part is what took all the time and hard work. Apply the finish was insanely easy, additional coats can just be reapplied when dry. The ceramic coating that was hazing was only left on the top 1/3, think they're 36 feet long, which was hard to get off.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by finatic View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions on cleaning up/refinishing some outrigger poles?
    Ok MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS as most of you know we have a small marina kinda run with friendship and Geroge Dickle

YOU GUYS GET YOUR WISH LIST UP FOR RUPP TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT I WILL PUT A ORDER IN IN
    THE MARINERS MANE. THE GUY THAT RAN THE MARINER BEFORE ME HAD A OEM ACCOUNT WITH RUPP.
    I WILL PLACE A ORDER FOR FOR A SET THAT SOOTS YOU. If you look on the rigger pole there is a number that tell rupp what it is
    length number of spreders and so forth. Give me your name and the rupp number I will call rupp they always give a quote befor finalizing the order i will send you the quote
    you can make up your mind after receiving the quote.

I want a new set there is one

BEST I CAN DO LITS PUT A DEADLINE ON THIS SAY BY 1/10/2018 MY E MAIL IS TPW184@AOL.COM