Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Outrigger finish

I can see Mother's polish working well to bring back the shine, there's lots of polishes that can work.
    The system we used wanted a very fine polish called Maas, lots of elbow grease but it did the job.
    The big issue is getting the polished metal sealed, and sealed for a long time especially for parts that are hard to reach like the top half of outriggers.
    Sheila Shine and the Rupp Aluma Guard seem like using pledge on woodwork, you get a quick easy shine that's not going to last.
    When I used to keep the boat in PB during the winter you always could tell when the owners of boats with lazy captains were coming in because they would rub Sheila Shine on everything the day before, we called it captain's delight.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    I can see Mother's polish working well to bring back the shine, there's lots of polishes that can work.
    The system we used wanted a very fine polish called Maas, lots of elbow grease but it did the job.
    The big issue is getting the polished metal sealed, and sealed for a long time especially for parts that are hard to reach like the top half of outriggers.
    Sheila Shine and the Rupp Aluma Guard seem like using pledge on woodwork, you get a quick easy shine that's not going to last.
    When I used to keep the boat in PB during the winter you always could tell when the owners of boats with lazy captains were coming in because they would rub Sheila Shine on everything the day before, we called it captain's delight.
    Guess i'm in the lazy captain category? Have used both Rupp Aluma Guard and Sheila Shine for years and it works. Could wipe down all aluminum and stainless on our 50C in no time, the metal always looked new. The trick is rinsing off with spotless water and not using a lot of soap which will remove most any wax and protectants. If you can drop riggers without removing and wipe down in a fraction of the time it takes to remove them to use a cleaner/wax, use super lube gel on the hardware. Wax does not last long in FL, synthetic polymer sealants are easier to apply and last longer. A choice of whether you want to spend many extra hours using labor intensive products or just be lazy.

Tinman, these guys were wiping the Sheila Shine on the fiberglass, painted or gelcoat, and everything else they could think of. These were full time guys, not owners taking care of their own boat.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Tinman, these guys were wiping the Sheila Shine on the fiberglass, painted or gelcoat, and everything else they could think of. These were full time guys, not owners taking care of their own boat.
    That is a bit lazy. Never heard of using SS on everything. Like you, over the years have tried about everything to keep the boat protected and looking good. Have gravitated towards quick and easy to maintain/protect the exterior, if the results are ok. As for riggers with spreaders, PIA, especially triple spreader 39'ers.

Been through most of what has been said here. My Rupp riggers are 15 years old and starting to get hazy. In the early days when everything was new and shiny, insulator was was the ticket but like me, the riggers are not new and shiny anymore. I came across an improvement quite by accident. I have started a new gel coat and Awlgrip waxing system that is looking good - Presta. One day after waxing the cockpit I wiped down the tower legs with Presta Creme Gelcoat Wax just for the hell of it and bang - the shine is better and it lasts longer than the other stuff I have tried. It won't bring it back to new but it's an improvement.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    If I ever have a new top made, I'm getting it made from stainless. Don't care how much more it costs.
    That can add a LOT of weight up high and easily change your COG !
    Capt' Hoop (Master 100 Ton/towing)
    1978- 58 MY “Amare La Vita”
    2001- 60C “Noah's Ark”
    1986 Scarab II “Summer Hummer”
    1979 Sleekcraft Aristocrat (jet) “She’s a squirter”