Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Were lead pig ballast common from the factory?`

So I am pulling a fire extinguisher cabinet to gain access to the back of one of my heads and see 25 lead pigs strapped in the area.

Was this common or more likely something a PO did? As I have developed a slight list and can find no water accumulating anywhere, is there any reason not to add some additional pigs in this location?

Re: Were lead pig ballast common from the factory?`

When I gutted my master stateroom there was about six or seven lead weights outer the port muffler area. The boat hasn’t been back in the water yet so not sure if I’m going to need to put them back.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

If you will search the forums for "lead ballast" I think you'll find what you're looking for.

In my case, one 20KW generator was permanently removed from the starboard side and a 1,000# capacity davit added to the port side by a PO. I found 750# of lead shot under the tail pipe at starboard transom. I also have some lead pigs running under the port muffler.

Through better weight distribution of tools and supplies, etc., I was able to remove 400# of the shot (I sold most of it to someone on this forum a while back). I moved the remaining 350# forward to the outside of the stringer at the back of the engine room. That's also a bit wider than the transom making less weight go farther.

What I have been avoiding is the obvious. I'd like to remove the lead from the port side, thereby, freeing up some of the lead shot on the starboard side. It's really hard to get to it all in a convertible.

What I did learn from the search was maybe I might redistribute some or all of the harvested lead forward. Since I run my most efficient (on plane) with the tabs full down and fwd tanks full, it stands to reason that extra weight (in the chain locker or ahead of the first transverse member) might help me out. I guess the proof is in the doing. You would know you've gone too far if the boat does better with less tab. And, being so far forward, it probably wouldn't take much weight. Only downside I see is it might make surfing a heavy following sea a little bit more hazardous.

What sayeth ye?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert, I also have some pigs/ingots forward in the hold where my thruster is. Came across those early on in ownership. Bruce Morrison recommended leaving them at the time.

I did some pricing of ingots, pigs and shot and lead probable is the most expensive option...

Any other suggestions for ballast materials?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
    Robert, I also have some pigs/ingots forward in the hold where my thruster is. Came across those early on in ownership. Bruce Morrison recommended leaving them at the time.

I did some pricing of ingots, pigs and shot and lead probable is the most expensive option...

Any other suggestions for ballast materials?
    Depleted uranium. Plus you can turn off those heaters in the winter.

As a shooter, I've got lots of lead laying around and good access to spent lead. Try a tire store and get a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights. You can pour off the lead into a coffee can mold or such with a propane torch. Best done outside and upwind.

If you buy shot, buy chilled and not magnum. Magnum is higher priced and slightly lighter because of antimony content.

Concrete landscaping cylinders?? They ought to stack nicely.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC