Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Raw water Shower Heads

While changing the hoses at our 1978 J&T 6-71N Shower Heads I see the inside surfaces are heavily corroded. I tried to see the business end with a small mechanics mirror but could not. We are not having any cooling issues at this time. Our Heads are the 90 degree bolt-on model and J&T has them (now in stainless) for $1175.00 ea. I've been searching the archives here and there's not much on Shower Heads getting replaced. We're still newbies and welcome any thoughts, thanks Craig

Re: Raw water Shower Heads

How about a picture? If they're the full water jacket style 39 years is a long time, if they're the type with insulated blanket and just a water shower head 39 years is also probably a long time too. J&T is buying them from somebody and probably adding at least 50%, you might want to call some of the exhaust manufacturers to compare. I prefer the ones with the hard coating for the hot section.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Marine manifold, in Farmingdale, NY, made many of the J & T exhaust parts
    . Might be able to save a few $$.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

I just had mine replaced in my 1995 boat. I was told I could go a little longer but elected not to. If you are comfortable spending the money I would do it.

I am also a newbe to the Detroit Diesel 671N's. What are the shower heads you are speaking of? Their purpose.
    Thanks,
    Chris

The showerhead is on the exhaust hose connection side of the exhaust "riser" ( or elbow), it's where raw water is injected to cool the exhaust gas. Basically 3 styles, insulated hardcoat or water jacketed or insulated with blanket. The insulated elbows just have the water entering the "shower head" on the end. Not sure what the manifold end/connection outlet on a 671N looks like, the 2 elbows in the photos would attach to a turbo, just need to make sure to get an exact match.

exhaustelbow.jpgexhaustelbowjacketed.jpgexhaustelbowblanket.jpg
    Last edited by Cricket; 12-11-2017 at 06:04 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Look up and old post called Exhaust Temp to see a photo
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Exhaust temp alarm that is.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I'll post pics Friday, our 6-71N Shower Heads are cast iron with a two-bolt flange on the manifold end and a two inch hose nipple on the other end with a 90 degree bend in the middle. The whole thing would fit inside an empty one quart oil can. Now I'm assuming there's a "shower head" to it, but I don't really know I haven't been able to find a pic. It could be simply a 90 degree fitting allowing a 2" hose to be fastened to the manifold, as there's two other, although smaller raw water lines upstream that dump into the exhaust manifold. When you guys look in the mirror tomorrow know that I think you're great.

Maybe Barr Marine for iron parts??
    Guess you need to determine which material to go with.
    Fished on a boat with J&T 671n's in the 70's and I know it had exhaust from Marine Manifold on Long Island because I rode up there from NJ with the owner to pick up a jacketed replacement riser that was leaking raw water..
    Last edited by Cricket; 12-11-2017 at 08:06 PM.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns