Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 40 dcmy

40 dcmy

Hi there,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Looking for input on the 40 DCMY. Quick background is I've been boating for most of my life, but primarily on lakes. Over the last 5 years we have taken our 26 bowrider to the west coast of FL each summer and have really enjoyed it. Last spring we chartered a 40 ft boat and enjoyed that as well. Since then I've been searching for our first "big boat". Something we could spend a week or so on and be comfortable. Mostly cruising the west coast of FL in the near term. I think a 38 - 45 double cabin is the right arrangement for us. I've looked at some express (Tiara) and convertibles (Post 42) last summer in person. I've always been partial to the looks of a convertible, but thinking from a practical standpoint with two kids, the DC arrangement would give us some room to spread out.

I am specifically looking for feedback on the 40 DCMY. There is a boat for sale in Jacksonville on Yatchtrader that seems priced reasonably well. Unfortunately, I cannot post a link since this my first post. Spoke with the broker and he is not indicating any major issues, other than it needs furniture. The current owner has spent some money on canvas, new flooring and air units. 2400 hrs on a pair of 3208 CATs, so I think they have some life left in them, assuming they have been cared for. It does look like the interior woodwork was painted, not sure I love that.

What should I be asking about before I go further with this? These boats typically seemed to be priced higher, so maybe I missing something or the in person condition might be less favorable than the pictures.

Re: 40 dcmy

I delivered a 40DC summer before last from Fort Pierce to Tennessee that let me spend quite of bit of time with one. I was impressed.

As for the 3208's, just make sure they aren't the 425HP versions. I'll see if I can find the boat and post a link for you. I'm sure there are others who can offer more input.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Not seeing anything in Jacksonville. Post the link address without the www or the .com and we'll take a look.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Correction, location is Daytona. It was previously in Jacksonville. They are the 375 HP 3208's.

yachtworld URL +

/boats/1989/Hatteras-40-Double-Cabin-3165931/Daytona-Beach/FL/United-States#.WnENXWaZPR01989/Hatteras-40-Double-Cabin-3165931/Daytona-Beach/FL/United-States#.WnENXWaZPR0"

One of our former active forum members (NY Russell) lived aboard his 1989 or 90 40 DC with his wife and two small children in Weehawken, NJ (across the Hudson from NYC) for several years. His boat had the Hatteras Ash white interior which was fairly popular in the late 80's and early 90's. It did give a more airy open look, but most of us here prefer the traditional wood interiors. His had the 3208's and he normally ran about 8 1/2 K for comfort and economy. I liked the layout of the boat and I think the designers did a good job of available space utilization. Noel and his family moved to Japan several years ago and I understand that the boat was sold for a very reasonable price. I would not hesitate to recommend the 40DC for your use. Do not overlook the wonderful 43's as well as they have more space overall and much more space in the engine room than the 40. The 43's ER is not hugh by any means but compared to the 40 it seems so.

Walt

rwrose,

Welcome to HOF. I have owned a 1989 40 DC (series 1) for 6 years have 2 university age kids (plus GF / BF) and I love our Boat. It is not for sale but if you can find one in similar shape I would recommend it. I have quite a few photo's on the forum (look for "Lake of the Woods") to get an idea what the interior / exterior looks like. You might want to contact a forum member who is also a broaker - SeaEric. He would be an excellent resource for you. I only know Sea Eric through the forum but if I were to look for another Hatteras in the future I would retain him.

Mark
    Lake of the Woods
    1989 40 DC

We have a 1987 40 DC. Gas engines. We are in our 3rd year coming from a 34 SC Hat. Like the looks of convertibles but there is so much extra room on the DC's. Highly recommend the boat. Best change we did on it was to have the carpet cut and bound to give access to the big hatches in the engine room.

The 40DC will no doubt meet your needs, but when we were looking, we decided on a 43 based on draft - the 43 MY drafts a foot less than the 40, and I assume the DC is the same. That foot will get you into a lot of beautiful, secluded SWFL anchorages that you might not chance with your running gear hanging a foot deeper. Size of engine room already noted above - you’ll appreciate that every time you crawl down there. You can’t go wrong either way, best of luck.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Quote Originally Posted by rwrose View Post
    Correction, location is Daytona. It was previously in Jacksonville. They are the 375 HP 3208's.
    I'm assuming it's this one along with some others listed on this particular site...

http://www.boattrader.com/search-results/NewOrUsed-any/Type-any/Category-all/State-FL|Florida/Length-40,40/Make-HATTERAS/Sort-LengthESC

There were two different versions of that boat. You can view them on here under the "Model Brochures" tab at the top of the page. I prefer the Series I layout myself, but to each their own.

Yachtworld listing...

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989...s#.WnHskHlG29s
    Last edited by Freeebird; 01-31-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93