Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oil change help

Exclamation Oil change help

I have a 53' 1977 convertible with twin detroit deisel 1271TI engines. The reversco op6 oil drain pump has 3 hoses connected in series to the engines and generator. I do not see a switch that would allow draining the oil 1 engine at a time. It appears all 3 will drain at same time. Is there a way to drain 1 enine at a time?

Re: Oil change help

Isn’t there a lever at the pump? You should be able to choose 1 Motor at a time.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

On mine, the electric switch has drain, fill, and off positions. The manifold valves are off and on (and in between). When the tab on the valve is aligned (parallel) to the drain/fill line(s) it is open. So to do each engine individually, just align that engines drain/fill valve parallel to the hose, and 90' to the hose to shut it off. My 12v71ti, with new filters, holds a little over 9 gallons, SW 40.
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 12-10-2017 at 03:01 PM.

And just incase you are unfamiliar with the oil requirements of Detroits be sure to look up what is needed. It has been discussed here several times.

And, welcome to the HOF.

Bobk

There are usually valves on the manifold near the pump. If there absolutely should be valves near each sump. Keep them all closed and only open them one at a time
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Post a photo of the pump.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Post a photo of the pump.
    You sure you are not looking at the auto pilot pump?

On mine 12-71's there is a valve near the back of the port engine fastened to the stringer labeled port/stb/gen. You also have to open ball valves on each engine and generator to let the oil get to the pump